Stocking numbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tetrababe13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I have a 10gl new aquarium. I'm new to the aquarium world but have had 8 betas. I really want to get 2 platies, 3 guppies and 5 cardinal tetras. Is that to many? I hope not. Here is a pic. Please get back to me ASAP. I'm going fish shopping tomorrow. (Only getting 5 tomorrow) I know that's a lot for one trip but I've made it all very comfortable for my fish. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388288760.052887.jpg

Is the tanked cycled? Not just running with the filter on but cycled?

The cycle is not fully complete (it's been 2 weeks) but my friend who has been doing this awhile thinks I should do a fish in cycle for the last little bit.

I'm very much of the mind that more plants are always good. Honestly I'd start stocking with just the livebearers and make sure you only get males, otherwise you end up babies. Maybe wait on the tetras for a little until the tank is a little more mature.

Ha! You read my mind. I really think more plants would be good as we'll. but thanks for the advice. I will defiantly get my platies and guppies tomorrow.

Well if it hasn't finished cycling either finish it with no fish or get your friend to give you filter material from their active tank to put in This tanks filter. Then start slow by adding maybe three fish tops, wait two weeks and if everything is going well add a few more

Ok. Anything to help the fish. I've seen your other posts and replies. You sound like you know what your doing. Any advice you give I will follow. Thanks so much!?

Hi. I have a 10gl new aquarium. I'm new to the aquarium world but have had 8 betas. I really want to get 2 platies, 3 guppies and 5 cardinal tetras. Is that to many? I hope not. Here is a pic. Please get back to me ASAP. I'm going fish shopping tomorrow. (Only getting 5 tomorrow) I know that's a lot for one trip but I've made it all very comfortable for my fish. View attachment 214046

What stage are you in the cycling process? Has your ammonia risen and then dropped? This may not be a good idea because there is a stage where the nitrites rise really high, at least to 10 times what it takes to injure a fish. If that is where you are, you may find yourself having to do 80+% water changes to lower it. If you do decide to, then test daily and make sure ammonia and nitrite stay under .25 ppm, and nitrate under 30 ppm.

Ok thanks. I'm 2 weeks in my cycle. No idea about the ammonia or nitrates I'll buy a test kit today. Instead.

Back
Top Bottom