Stocking Only Yoyo Loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDaddy22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to fish keeping and I'm unsure about how to stock my little 5 gallon tank. It seems like the most sound way to go about stocking this little guy is only stocking fish of the same species given that I can only stock a small amount of fish in this tank and I would obviously like them to be as less stressed as possible and allow them to be with members of their specie. I had many different types of fish in the past while I was getting the basics under my belt and I find my favorite fish is the Yoyo Loach. However, would it be a good idea stocking only this type of fish in a tank this size being that they are bottom feeders? They will happily eat anything I throw in the tank regardless but I can't help to feel anxious about having strictly Yoyo loaches in a planted tank that would offer less algae to eat.

Thank you for your thoughts

Imo I feel that yoyo loaches would get a little big for being in a 5 gallon. Especially since they like to be in groups of 3 or more.

No yoyo loaches in a 5 gallon tank. Not enough room for a fish that can get as big as 10 inches, requires groups and is quite active.

I agree with Omni and sinibotia; Yoyos would never be happy or comfortable in a 5g tank. IMO, the smallest tank size for Yoyos would be a 40g, and that's probably pushing it. None of mine have ever reached 10", but 6-7 isn't unusual, and they're very active fish. If you want active, schooling bottom-feeders, consider Corydoras. There are many diferent species, some very cool looking, and all are active, fun fish, with a bonus of being readily available and usually only a few bucks each unless you opt for the more rare species.

5g is too small for cories too, check out micro/nano fish, or look into getting a betta

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with toad :/ a 5 gallon tank is tiny. perfect for a betta though though I liked to spoil mine when I had one and gave him a 10 all to himself.

Back
Top Bottom