Stocking our 30 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jantaris

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there...
I am curious to see what thoughts/ideas some of you would have on stocking our 30 g. Right now we have an angel who is nearing full adult size, along with 2 kribensis (m/f) and 6 danio. Everyone seems to be thriving.
I really love the idea of adding some dwarf gourami. I have read both good and bad about this potential mix so wanted to get some additional thoughts. I understand gourami have quite individual personalities, with some being more aggressive and that it really depends on the fish. Are there varieties that would potentially be a little more laid back and compatible with what we want? We like the powder blue, rainbow, and one that our aquarium shop (which is not just a typical LFS) calls Sunrise dwarf. Wondering, specifically how the kribs and DG will get on together. Again, have heard both good reports and bad on this
Next question is how many? I have read variously that one is enough DG in a single tank, and then have also heard they like to be around other DG. Some say 4 minimum, even. So, it's all a bit confusing.

Additionally, we are thinking on 4-6 long finned cherry barb but I also wasn't sure we'd have enough tank space for them as I understand they get big. Here's what I'm potentially thinking...

1 near adult marble angel (sex unknown)
2 kribentis (m and juvenile f)
6 zebra danio
3-4 dwarf gourami
4-6 cherry barbs
Would that be a good combo? Would I be overstocking?

I'll tell you about our environment. We have some aquatic plants but need more. We have "caves" and are also curing driftwood. We also have gravel but I'm thinking of transferring out to sand. So, in a week or two we *may* be ready to start moving on this. Want to set the enviro first. And, although we don't have a test kit yet, we'll be getting one and at this point are checking our quality at the aquarium shop we go to. So far, so good. I'm also doing 25-30% change twice weekly.
Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated... :fish2:

Hi there...
I am curious to see what thoughts/ideas some of you would have on stocking our 30 g. Right now we have an angel who is nearing full adult size, along with 2 kribensis (m/f) and 6 danio. Everyone seems to be thriving.
I really love the idea of adding some dwarf gourami. I have read both good and bad about this potential mix so wanted to get some additional thoughts. I understand gourami have quite individual personalities, with some being more aggressive and that it really depends on the fish. Are there varieties that would potentially be a little more laid back and compatible with what we want? We like the powder blue, rainbow, and one that our aquarium shop (which is not just a typical LFS) calls Sunrise dwarf. Wondering, specifically how the kribs and DG will get on together. Again, have heard both good reports and bad on this
Next question is how many? I have read variously that one is enough DG in a single tank, and then have also heard they like to be around other DG. Some say 4 minimum, even. So, it's all a bit confusing.

Additionally, we are thinking on 4-6 long finned cherry barb but I also wasn't sure we'd have enough tank space for them as I understand they get big. Here's what I'm potentially thinking...

1 near adult marble angel (sex unknown)
2 kribentis (m and juvenile f)
6 zebra danio
3-4 dwarf gourami
4-6 cherry barbs
Would that be a good combo? Would I be overstocking?

I'll tell you about our environment. We have some aquatic plants but need more. We have "caves" and are also curing driftwood. We also have gravel but I'm thinking of transferring out to sand. So, in a week or two we *may* be ready to start moving on this. Want to set the enviro first. And, although we don't have a test kit yet, we'll be getting one and at this point are checking our quality at the aquarium shop we go to. So far, so good. I'm also doing 25-30% change twice weekly.
Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated... :fish2:

all im gonna say is for that size tank only get 1 DG, i have a heavily planted 38 gallon and decided to get 2 DG, and within 2 days one of my DG had killed the other (you can see the winner in my profile pic)

now DG are pretty peaceful towards other fish, it is mostly towards their own that they fight with because they are quite territorial

this information is towards male DG, which are the only ones i can find around here, no one sales females in my area because they are not has vibrantly colored and therefore dont sell as well.

so if you wanted to keep 2 DG then a male and female pair would be the only way to go IMO

Great. Thanks. That is pretty much the advice I got last night from someone else, as well. I appreciate the input...

Dwarf Gourami can bring quite a bite for their small size, literally. Another option are honey gourami. They look similar to sunrise gourami if I am right about what your petshop meant. My local petstore keeps about 4-5 honey gourami in a planted 15 gallon and mine hasn't been a bother to any of my fish at all. The males may have a small drop of blue on them and i beleive you can buy them in a red color called "flame honey". I can post pics of mine. They are quite hardy and don't get above 3 inches.

Back
Top Bottom