Stocking Plan? 20 gallon freshwater community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mazie51109

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 20 gal is finished cycling and it's time to start adding fish :fish2:
I definitely want some danios. I've had them before and loved watching them. They're so active! I also really like cories- I'm thinking maybe 5 danios, 4-6 panda cories, and something else. Any Ideas? I'm thinking about getting some more neon tetras. And can anyone tell me more about American Flagfish? They're beautiful. My local pet store has one or two small ones and I love them. I've tried to do some research and haven't found much. Does anyone have experience keeping them? Thanks!!

A pair of flagfish might work but they do prefer cooler temps than most of the other fish you want: Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: American Flagfish Killifish
Jordanella floridae (American-Flag Fish) — Seriously Fish

What kind of danios were you looking at? Most should work in a 20. Did you do a fish-in cycle or fishless? If fish-in, what fish do you have now or do you have fish that you want to move into the 20 (you mentioned neons)?

What type of substrate do you have? Corys prefer sand but are often kept in gravel as long as it's not sharp and kept very clean.

Without knowing what fish you have now, here's one suggestion:

-- 4-6 panda, pygmy, dwarf, or three lined cory. Most corys would work but I'd avoid the larger types like sterbai for a 20 gal
--6 neon tetra
--6 danios
-- 1 dwarf gourami (would inhabit mostly the upper regions)
--1 bolivian ram (would inhabit mostly the lower regions; only get one as they get aggressive if they mate and other types of rams need higher temps)

I did a fishless cycle. I was looking mostly at zebra danios. I used to have leopard danios, zebra danios, and giant danios. The substrate is sand, and I have some terracotta pots for hiding places. I plan on adding some plants once the tank is more established.

Great! Sounds good then. You can add plants anytime actually. It'll depend on what light you have. Most low-light plants can grow with the light that came with the tank if that's what you have: anubias, java fern (these preferred to be attached to wood or rocks; if you do plant them in the sand just don't bury the rhizome), crypts and swords (these would benefit from some root tabs).

I already have some java moss and anubias in other tanks. I'll probably just transplant those. My only problem with the java moss is that little pieces come off and get EVERYWHERE in the tank. All of the tanks I've put java moss in still have traces of it floating around or stuck to the filter. Java fern sounds good though.

Did you have the moss floating or was it tied to something? I generally tie it down to a piece of wood or rock using fishing line or pure cotton thread. Lay the moss flat and spread it out; don't clump it together too much or the bottom parts will die off. It'll look weird at first but it'll look better as it grows in.

It was tied down to some driftwood but just putting it in/ taking it out of the tanks was enough to cause pieces to come off. Then again, my ghost shrimp didn't help much either...

I just got back from the LFS and got 6 serpae tetras, 6 zebra danios, and 4 green cories. They're doing great so far. I have them with some ghost shrimp and a Chinese Algae Eater in the 20.

Congrats! Be careful with the CAE though; they can grow upwards of 9" and as they grow they get very territorial and aggressive and tend to attack other fish.

Keep an eye on the serpaes too. Very pretty fish once they're comfortable and color up but also known to be a bit nippy at times.

Back
Top Bottom