Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geff.gardner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'll be stocking my 16 gallon high shortly & wanted to know if my planned stock list is too large -

3 albino corys
3platies (orange & red)
4 zebra danios
1 fancy tail guppy

Also would like to add a few shrimp & snails.

Please let me know if that is a good load for a 16 gallon high.

Thanks.

I'll be stocking my 16 gallon high shortly & wanted to know if my planned stock list is too large -

3 albino corys
3platies (orange & red)
4 zebra danios
1 fancy tail guppy

Also would like to add a few shrimp & snails.

Please let me know if that is a good load for a 16 gallon high.

Thanks.
That would be fine, but I have to remind you of a few things.
Cories need groups of six to feel comfortable.
Zebra danios would do BEST in groups of six, but I keep 3 of them in my 55 gallon. I am gonna get some GloFish (registered trademark) friends for them soon though.
Guppies would LIKE the pleasure of their own kind to stay active and happy.

In summary, I think that you should have less species, but of the species you DO keep, get several more.

Hope I helped!

Ok, thanks for your help. So you would suggest a couple male guppies then, as opposed to 1?

Thanks for your help!!

Ok, thanks for your help. So you would suggest a couple male guppies then, as opposed to 1?

Thanks for your help!!
Yes. I dunno how active and playful your cories will be though. It's just me, I say to forget the idea of the guppies entirely, and get 6 Albino cories in total. But that's your call.

Corydoras aeneus "Albino" can get up to 3".
That's rather large for your size tank. They are very long lived with good care as well.

You might look at C habrosus instead. C panda is a good size, but like cooler tanks.

Aeneus are very hardy and a great beginner Cory. If you had a 20 Long I'd say go for it. Your floor space is limited in your tank.

Find out what species the albinos are. C paleatus also come in Albino.

Also your Danios are super busy. They may pick on Guppies. I used to get them returned often for naughty behavior. There are other Danios and Rasboras you might consider as well.

I don't like Livebearers in small tanks. They have large bioloads for their size and when they start having babies, where will you put them ??

You picked inexpensive easy beginner fish. Nothing wrong with that. You just might consider other fish also.

I like Harlequin Rasboras.

I love Nano fish types, but they prefer lots of plants to hide in.

Back
Top Bottom