Stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuotheRaven

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I've started a new tank after a few years break from keeping fish (used to have 5-6 tanks) but my knowledge is very rusty and I'm very paranoid about doing the wrong thing.

I have a 33 gallon (133l) tank currently stocked with 6 emperor tetra, 4 kuhlii loaches (3 banded and 1 black, they accidentally gave me one black rather than all banded) and 1 mystery snail.

My filtration is pretty decent in regards to turn over.

So, question is, how much more fish can I fit in this tank? I know of the inches per gallon thingies, but maths is not my strong point.

Any help would be great :)

Welcome !! You've found a great place to come for help. I'd say you're stocking isn't too bad at the moment. Just be aware as the loaches go, they may need bigger homes. Can't be certain without the scientific name though as they all have varying requirements. Personally, I'd try to exchange the black one for what you wanted. As for the "inch per gallon" rule, that's really a thing of the past and hardly accepted today. To help you better, follow the link for a "guide" as to how your current stock is. There may be other choices or notes that will aid you in better suiting your tank for your desires.

Hope this helps and again, welcome !!

http://aqadvisor.com/

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Personally I would add some sort of centerpiece fish. Is there anything in particular that you're interested in?

I was looking at a Moonlight Gourami as a centerpiece and maybe some more emperor tetra's to even out their aggression towards each other. Then maybe a couple of other smaller type fish (Kribensis perhaps).

The tank has a large amount of hiding spots, drift wood and fake plants.

The loaches are P.Kuhlii. I've found they tend to run pretty small here in Australia, at least I've found that.

Thanks for the help so far :)

By the way, that aqua advisor is BRILLIANT! It states i'm at about 49% stocking which is where I thought and hoped I'd be at.

The black Kuhlii I have is Acanthothalmus javanicus. I don't really want to return him simply as I'm quite attached to him but I realise I'd probably need another 3-4 of the same species for him to feel at home right?

Have you looked at rams? Electric blue and German rams are both nice species (I have 2 electric blues) and they do great in pairs.

I was thinking Rams, but they have been running low at my aquarium lately.

Incidentally, my filter does 1480l per hour, so it's good for up to 47 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom