Stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon and I'm cycling it now. I have been looking for some different fish to put in. I think I was 5 panda cories, 5 dwarf rainbow fish, a dwarf gourami and a mystery snail. I've read they should all co-exists, but I'd like to hear from real people with experience with these fish. So would this work? If not, any other different fish I could get?

I would get a smaller schooling fish, neons or flame tetras. Other then that, your good.

A smaller schooling fish instead of the rainbow fish, or in addition to the rainbows?

I wouldn't put the rainbows in a 20g, they are very active swimmers are a little to large. Maybe 6 harlequin rasboras, or 10 galaxy rasboras.

I wouldn't put the rainbows in a 20g, they are very active swimmers are a little to large. Maybe 6 harlequin rasboras, or 10 galaxy rasboras.

Galaxy rasboras are not rasboras. They are actually called celestial pearl danios, or CPDs.

Rummynose, lemon, cardinal, and glowlight tetras are all nice alternatives.

Okay I've done a little more research. How about the 5 panda Cory's, 5 zebra danios, 1 or 2 dwarf gourami's and 3 platys? Too much?

Okay I've done a little more research. How about the 5 panda Cory's, 5 zebra danios, 1 or 2 dwarf gourami's and 3 platys? Too much?

Definitely only 1 dwarf gourami. And maybe only 2 platy. They have very high bioloads for a small fish.

Ok 1 gourami, and 2 platy. Both male or female platys? Which sex is more active and social?

Ok 1 gourami, and 2 platy. Both male or female platys? Which sex is more active and social?
1 gourami- Great!
2 Platy- All good: just get the same sex, it doesn't matter which one, unless you want a load of platy fry;) Just a tiny warning these poop a lot, so be prepared to clean the bottom of the tank a lot, or at least I had to! Not saying that their overall fun-ness doesn't make up for their bio-load, because it does.

You can add some fish for the bottom of the tank as well: your could do pygmy/dwarf corydoras, or maybe just some ghost shrimp. I think if you added something to the bottom you could have something at all levels!

I was planning on 5 panda Cory's for the bottom along with a mystery snail.

That's good then. Also, the pandas may grow too big for your tank, just a FYI;) I like to keep them in 20g+ tanks, although a 10 might work.

I've read pandas grow to be 2", so everything I've read says for me not to get a fish bigger than 4 to 5". I have a 20 gallon tall.

Back
Top Bottom