Stocking questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nightshark

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok. I have a 16 gallon tank and went overboard. It's 30x8x16. Currently in there are:
2 convicts
1 firemouth
5 gold barbs
5 cherry barbs

I'd like to keep the convict pair if possible but want your advice & thoughts. If I have to take them back what would be a good stocking list for this size tank?

I've got a Aquaclear 50 filter installed with extra bio material.

The convicts gotta go man. They need at least a 35 gallon or something along those lines. They'll grow bigger in a short amount of time. I think your stocking list is pretty full. A 16 gallon isn't that big of a tank. :/

Gold Barbs hit 3"
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+880+2738&pcatid=2738

Return fish and RESEARCH before you buy. This site and Google are your friends.

AqAdvisor and LiveAquaria are also good sites to give you an idea of stocking fish that can live in your tank.

I would do cherry barbs and harlequin rasboras. They look great together and they're both peaceful species and they will not outgrow your tank.

Dwarf Cory sp on the bottom.

Honey Gourami on the top.

Plants and dwiftwood.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Guess I need to start over. I want something in it with personality like the cichlids.

I agree with coursair. Go nano fish, but consider dwarf cichlids. Go to Rachel at msjinkzd.com for nano fish and Dave at apistogrammaidiots.com for dwarf cichlids.

Have you considered a betta? 2 dwarf Gouramis would look great with the cherry barbs.

2 Gouramis may fight. If it was a 20Long or 40Breeder, it might work. DGs are feisty. One DG or a Honey Gourami would work. Gouramis dislike other Gouramis, even diff species. A few people can make it work, but if you search the site you'll find hundreds and hundreds of posts of people whose DGs started fighting

Guess I need to start over. I want something in it with personality like the cichlids.

My fish have personality. My Cories are puppies with fins IMHO.
http://youtu.be/JrLx1mKDObY

I'll sit and watch my Shrimp and CPDs. My male CPDs spar and chase and flirt. And unlike many cichlids they don't do any damage to each other.

Big personality in a small package ?
A male Betta or a Gourami.

My last boy ruling his 10g
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423610151.656745.jpg

I've had some very aggressive gouramis in the past. I'll have to see what I can do as far as returning the fish. All we've got around here is the big chains so selection is limited. I'm going to look into the nano idea.

Back
Top Bottom