Stocking Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0hAich

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alrighty, I’ve got a 36 gallon bowfront tank (~30l 15w 21h) and am trying to plan out my stock while I wait for the tank to complete a fishless cycle. (Tank details: I’ve got two 40gal HOB filters, so filtration should be good; thusfar, my 200W heater is doing its job well; I’m using treated tap water, which after sitting for a day is at a pH of 8.0.)

So, here is my potential stocking list:
1 x black angelfish
1 x dwarf (or blue) gourami
2 x Bolivian ram
6-8 x green tiger barbs
5 x zebra/leopard danio OR blue emperor tetra

Here follows a few notes on my choices. The angelfish is a top choice, but I’m only allowed to have one (my wife doesn’t like their appearance, but has given me the blessing for one). I’ve read conflicting reports regarding tiger barbs and angelfish; several state that angels WILL get nipped to shreds, others have said that they will tolerate each other if the barbs are kept in a shoal of 6+. I love the coloration (and activity level) of the barbs, but I don’t want to upset their tankmates. As you can tell, I am a fan of color and want some activity at each level of the tank, but am not sure how feasible this set up is. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

I've never tried it but I've seen people on here recommending not to put angels and gouramis together. It might be one of those things you have to take on a case by case basis.
As for the tiger barbs...well I heard the same thing that the bigger the group, the better. To me 6 isn't a big group. It's not something I would personally do, especially since you want the tank based around the angelfish.

IMO, no tiger barbs with angels, or gouramis, or rams. Since you plan to have all 3 of those species in there, it increases the chance for issues ot happen. I do not recommend it. I have heard the same thing about larger groups of tiger barbs being less nippy, but I have only really heard of it ever working well a handful of times, and hardly ever with fish like angels or gouramis. JMO.
Angels and gourami can be pretty hit or miss. The same thing is true for gouramis with rams. Since you only want 1 angel and 1dg, it has a veyr good chance of working IME. A lot of the issues that arise between those species are a result of breeding aggression. You will have to keep an eye on them to malke sure they are getting along, but who doesn't like watching their fish? :)
Instead of the tiger barbs, I recommend either gold barbs or cherry barbs. They are not as aggressive/nippy, but still active and pretty.
Justa note, sometimes angels do not tolerate zebra danios because they get annoyed at the activity level of the danios and start to just snap at them all the time. In general, I think the mix works out though. Just a heads up. ;)

From my experience, I had 1 DG die from Gourami disease, and another DG that got the little-known Dwarf gourami disease. Perfect water conditions, but they were stressed being in with other gouramis (Beginners mistake).
At first they were fine, after about 2 weeks they set up territories, wars ensued.

While at the same time, my blue gourami was the biggest, but most the least aggressive. Maybe because none of the others challenged him? He has also never been sick.

I would say go with a blue because in my case, it's hardier and friendlier.

You could TRY putting an angel in with it, but it's very risky.

The way your tank is set up can also have an impact on fish behaviour.

A lot of schooling fish such as barbs, do better in a community in greater numbers. This will keep all the nipping, playing and fighting among themselves.
There is still a chance the angel will be nipped though.

There are plenty of bright colourful fish that could go with either angels or gouramis. But it's mainly the centerpiece fish you should plan first, and work around that.

That's a nice color stocking plan, it you could pull it off, it would look cool.

I'm not knowledgeable on Angels, but having them with any TB's are hit or miss. Having 6+ TB's could help curtail their fin nipping as they focus more on each other, but no guarantees. If you get the Green TB's as Juveniles, then they may mature into accepting an Angel. Green TigersBarbs are my favorite fish, their green color can get really dark and rich in a well maintained tank.

As for Gourami's, in a 36gal you'd want a dwarf ... either a flame or powder blue are really colorful. A regular Blue Gourami would eventually get too big (up to 6 inches) for a 36gal.

So, if the angels/gourami/rams were introduced as juveniles they'd be more likely to accept each other, yes? Is there a more stable (health and temperament) fish that I could substitute for the DG, or should I not be too concerned about it? Also, if I were to use cherry/gold barbs would having a mixed group (i.e. 4 of each) be sufficient to curtail any problems or would they do best in full shoals of their own kind?

I also had my blue gourami in a 75 gallon. Which will definitely affect temperament.

Also, if I were to use cherry/gold barbs would having a mixed group (i.e. 4 of each) be sufficient to curtail any problems or would they do best in full shoals of their own kind?

Cherry and Gold Barbs are both peaceful Barbs so you won't get the fin nipping problems with them. It's mostly TigerBarbs that are the nasty fin nippers.
I have 2 Cherry's and 2 Gold Barbs and the Cherry's mostly keep to themselves, the Gold Barbs hang out more among the other fish.
I would say get 4 Cherry's and or 4 Gold Barbs, They'll bring nice reds (male cherry's) / oranges (female cherry) and yellows.

Cherry and Gold Barbs are both peaceful Barbs so you won't get the fin nipping problems with them. It's mostly TigerBarbs that are the nasty fin nippers.
I have 2 Cherry's and 2 Gold Barbs and the Cherry's mostly keep to themselves, the Gold Barbs hang out more among the other fish.
I would say get 4 Cherry's and or 4 Gold Barbs, They'll bring nice reds (male cherry's) / oranges (female cherry) and yellows.

Six of either species and/or both would be better for the OP. They do shoal and like with everything else prefer their own species. Not trying to start a fight, because your gold barbs do swim with the other fish. The question though is would they still do that if there were more gold barbs in the tank. I'm thinking that would change things.
If it was me I would pick one or the other, but then I'm a fan of fewer species of fish and bigger schools. I just think it looks nice. Just my opinion though.

Thanks for the advice! Next question would be if I should be concerned with the pH and hardness of the water, considering angelfish's liking of soft, acidic water. Should I add some peat or will the angelfish adjust fine to the water as is?

I wouldn't be concerned with trying to change your ph. Just make sure it's stable since that's the most important thing.

So, if the angels/gourami/rams were introduced as juveniles they'd be more likely to accept each other, yes? Is there a more stable (health and temperament) fish that I could substitute for the DG, or should I not be too concerned about it? Also, if I were to use cherry/gold barbs would having a mixed group (i.e. 4 of each) be sufficient to curtail any problems or would they do best in full shoals of their own kind?
They may be more likely to tolerate each other if raised together, but it will not provide a guarantee that it will work out in the long run. Most of the potential issues will come about when the fish hit maturity. So, if you introduce them all when they are young, they will have to form territories around each other. It may or may not work forever, but I think its worth trying. :)
Instead of a dg, I recommend a honey gourami (colisia chuna). They stay smallish and are one of the more peaceful gourami species. They tend to be a bit more healthy than dg IME.
I agree that cherries/golds are not nippy, so there shouldn't be any problems to curtain. I would suggest having 6 of each (or like 8 of 1 kind).

Back
Top Bottom