Stocking Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow nice...for once something was labelled right...I love brochis splendens :)

A few people there sound like they know the fish. This is mine and my sons first freshwater tank and I only know from the research of the internet. I don't want to add three more of each species because I believe I would be over stocked once I add the rasboras and ram/rams. Here is what I have stocked now. I might cut the neon tetras down a few after a while.

12 -Neon Tetras
2 - DG
6 - Cory Cats (3 Albino/3 emerald)

Plan to add.
8 - Harlequin Rasbora
1 or 2 unpicked species (Maybe Ram/Rams)

A few people there sound like they know the fish. This is mine and my sons first freshwater tank and I only know from the research of the internet. I don't want to add three more of each species because I believe I would be over stocked once I add the rasboras and ram/rams. Here is what I have stocked now. I might cut the neon tetras down a few after a while.

12 -Neon Tetras

2 - DG

6 - Cory Cats (3 Albino/3 emerald)

Plan to add.

8 - Harlequin Rasbora

1 or 2 unpicked species (Maybe Ram/Rams)

Since this is your first tank , I would avoid Rams. They are not a beginner fish. They are more sensitive and require warmer water than your other fish prefer. A single Bolivian Ram might work ?

Only adding 3 of a shoaling species can cause stress, illness and misplaced aggression IME. I would not "cut down" on the Neons. They don't have a big Bioload and at least I think they show off much better in larger groups. Esp in a 55g.

Having a mish mash of species can lead to problems. And at least to me doesn't make a very good display.

Enjoy your tank, but add stock slowly. Investing in a 10-20g quarantine tank can save you headaches down the road as well. Kids HATE losing fish and losing a whole tank is worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I add 8/10 - Harlequin Rasbora that would give me two different schooling fish. 6 more corys would be the bottom feeders (6 emerald/6 albino) so I would have a stock like this. Option two is to get Female Gourami and no roasbora. Or if some one else has suggestion feel free to chime in, maybe rainbow fish?

12 - Neon Tetra (currently)
6 - Emerald Cory (3 currently)
6 - Albino Cory (3 currently)
2 - DG (currently)

I think this is what we might go for. It is hard to try and pick fish. My son wants a pleco but they seem expensive and it looks like most require driftwood. Any thoughts?

Option #1 106% stocked
2 x Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia)
12 x Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
6 x Emerald Green Cory (Brochis splendens)
6 x Albino Cory (Corydoras aeneus)
6 x Boesemans Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemani) or other species of rainbowfish

Option #2 100%stocked
1 x Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus)
1 x Angelfish
Take the chance with the neon tetras.

If you get the Angel as a small one and raise it with the Neons it may never hunt them. Not because they are "friends", but because Angel is well fed and never learned to eat them ?

Boesmanis Rainbows are Fast fish. They will get the food before your other fish. They are quite busy and may stress your Neons or Angel ? I haven't kept this species...can others comment ?

I always sold Angels and Neons to peaceful, Amazonian type tanks.

Look at Harlequin Rasboras or Cherry Barbs or Glowlight Tetras.

The rainbows up your stock so much because they hit 3 inches each

Boesmanis Rainbows are Fast fish. They will get the food before your other fish. They are quite busy and may stress your Neons or Angel ? I haven't kept this species...can others comment ?

I always sold Angels and Neons to peaceful, Amazonian type tanks.

Look at Harlequin Rasboras or Cherry Barbs or Glowlight Tetras.

The rainbows up your stock so much because they hit 3 inches each

Thanks. I have read that if you introduce a small angel after the neons they usually get along. I forgot to copy and paste the rasboras in this group. This stock would make 100% capacity. I might take out the ram and add a few more rasbora. Any thoughts? Thanks

1 x Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus)
8 x Harlequin Rasbora (Trigonostigma heteromorpha)
1 x Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare)

Threadfin rainbow arent very fast compared to boesemani Rainbowfish, Its another alternative. But I think boesemani should be fine.

I would not stock to 100%. I like to leave room in case I miss a water change. Under stocking a tank gives you more options. Granted online calculators aren't perfect.

I like this last list the best. All peaceful and similar likes. Add Ram or Angel last. Keep an eye on the Gouramis.

I would not stock to 100%. I like to leave room in case I miss a water change. Under stocking a tank gives you more options. Granted online calculators aren't perfect.

I like this last list the best. All peaceful and similar likes. Add Ram or Angel last. Keep an eye on the Gouramis.

Thanks. I had one dead albino this morning. I replaced him and added two more plus two more emeralds. So the tank now has 2-DG, 12-Neon Tetra and 10 - Corys (5Albino and 5Emerald). I will wait a few weeks and add the 8 Harlequin Rasbora and then a month or two before I add the angel fish or ram.
The lighter color DG is way more active and swims around constantly. The brighter color has been hiding a lot. Today he has been out swimming
around all day so I take that as a good sign. Plus they have left each other alone for now. The neon tetras stick together in one large group or two smaller groups and are highly active.
All test are looking good and I changed 10gallons of water this morning. Nitrates still in the 10-20ppm.

I posted two soon. The lighter colored DG started chasing and pecking at the darker one. The darker one swims off but comes back and the process repeats. Sometimes the lighter one will charge. Is this something that will remain constant because the lighter one is more aggressive?

I posted two soon. The lighter colored DG started chasing and pecking at the darker one. The darker one swims off but comes back and the process repeats. Sometimes the lighter one will charge. Is this something that will remain constant because the lighter one is more aggressive?

They can be relentless and sometimes both will die from stress.

Here is a video of earlier. The aggressive one just followed the other one around. Not sure how they are supposed to act. Some times they leave each other alone, some times he nips and other times this until he goes back to his hiding place.

I will give a update on the two male DG. They have only been in the tank for a week now. The past couple of days the one would hide a lot and when it did come out it would get chased/followed. It would stay hidden for the morning and afternoon feedings and once it came out and isolated itself I was able to feed him, This morning the lights came on and the fish came out for the feeding both DG were out and playing nice. They both ate and are still both out and leaving each other alone. The lighter DG has appears to have colored up and now its hard to tell the two apart. I am hoping they can co-exist and from reading on line it seems hot or miss. Hopefully the fish store gets the harlequin rasboras in next week and I can add 8 to the tank. Will one bolivian ram do fine or do they need pairs?

Back
Top Bottom