Stocking suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbirdag96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have 2 tanks at the moment. One 40gal fw and one custom tank that is about 10gal...fw also. Currently, we have 2 fan-tail goldfish in the smaller tank and the following fish in the 40gal: 2 cherry barbs, 1 zebra danio, and 1 small common pleco. I've been made aware that the smaller tank isn't suitable for the goldfish and that I should also trade in the pleco as it will get too big for the larger tank eventually.

What fish would be good for the smaller tank? I'd like to get something colorful and not shy as this tank is for our daughter.

What would be a good replacement for the common pleco? I've had Otos before, but they died soon after a water change. I read that they are rather sensitive to changes in their environment. I'd like to get another type of pleco if possible...one that will stay small and be suitable for that tank.

I would also like to diversify the community in that tank by adding something else. We'd like something that would get along with the other fish, but not hide most of the time (like plecos do).

For the pleco replacement, a bristlenose pleco would be a good choice, I think. They get no longer than about 6 inches. Also in that tank, your barbs and danio would be much more comfortable if you had a school of each (say 6 of each). Not sure what else to add, there are lots of options...

And I'll leave the 10 gal for someone else to advise, I don't have small-tank experience.

Would it be advisable to add 5 zebra danios and 4 cherry barbs at once? That's also taking into consideration that a bristlenose or pitbull pleco would be added too. This tank has been set up and running since last April.

I don't think that would be a great idea, especially in a ten gallon, to put all of those fish in at once. Like majolo said, a bristlenose pleco would be good. Also look at some guppies or tetras for small, cheap, colorful fish.

The danios and barbs are in the 40 gallon, if I read things correctly. But you are right, the tank has very few fish in it so far, so I think I would add fish only gradually, and test your ammonia & nitrite to look for any mini-cycle that occurs.

Just to make sure that I'm reading things right: the goldfish are being removed, leaving a vacancy in the 10 gal; and the 40 gal is staying, and you're looking for more fish to add there, right?

The fish would be added to the 40 gal fw tank. Yes, the 10 gal tank would end up being vacated as the gold fish would be returned or traded in at a LFS.

I have a few suggestions for the 10 gal.

A group of male guppies would be great little colorful fish. Its neat to watch babies being born, but in a tank that size, I would avoid having females since a population explosion may cause water parameters to become unstable and result in the death of some of the fish.

Another possibility is a variety of platies. They come in a whole bunch of colors and your daughter would probably have a great time picking out the ones she likes best. I think it would also be best to have a group of all males with these guys too.

Yet another possibility is a group of female bettas. I have a 10 gal tank with female bettas on my desk and they're truly a joy to watch. They colored up beautifully once they were in the tank out out of their little cups from the store. They are quirky little fish with their own little personalities. Even though they are females, they are somewhat territorial towards each other, so it is essential to have a group and not just 2 (which would result in one picking on the other). Its also important to have lots of plants and decoration so they can stake out their own territory. 4 or 5 of them in a 10 gal should work well.

Personally, I would avoid schooling fish in a 10 gal. They usually like a lot of space to swim, and when you stick them in a small tank they sometimes just kind of float around and twitch.

I love my ten gallon I have low light plants like Java fern and crypts in there with 8 neon tetras and a male betta and some shrimp they are fun to watch and is very colorfull. My kids like the shrimp best.

Good luck and have fun.

Tess

Back
Top Bottom