Stocking Suggestions (Beginner)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colours

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Aquarium Advice!

We just bought a 20G starter kit (topfin I believe). We have a small 5G with two guppies in it right now, but we wanted to go bigger. Were just cycling the tank now, and we have ordered the API master test kit. I was just wondering what would be some ideal fish to put in and how many (with a starter kit equipment). We were looking at some tetras, barbs, gourami's, guppies right now.

Thanks,

Matt

Guppies, tetra and barbs must live in a school of at least 6. If you get barbs, still away from Tiger barbs. They will fin nip other fishes. You can only have one male dwarf gourami. Two males will cause issues between them.

Guppies aren't schooling fish, they don't need groups of 6, but the other two (barbs and tetras) do.
What specific types of these fish were you looking at?
Welcome to the forum!

Guppies aren't schooling fish, they don't need groups of 6, but the other two (barbs and tetras) do.
What specific types of these fish were you looking at?
Welcome to the forum!

Ok, thanks! I was looking at some beginner ones. I saw some red tetras (seperhea??) and the tiger barbs (seem more advanced?). Was also looking at a male dwarf gourami, other then that I have no idea really about the others

20g is too small for tiger barbs, they get pretty big. Cherry barbs would be a better choice. Serpae tetras would work but they're known for fin nipping, typically if they're not kept in proper numbers or in smaller spaces.
There are a lot of great options for tetras out there. Maybe check out some bottom dwellers too like cory cats or kuhli loaches, but keep in mind both of those are going to need a smooth substrate and sand would be preferred. Keep us posted!

20g is too small for tiger barbs, they get pretty big. Cherry barbs would be a better choice. Serpae tetras would work but they're known for fin nipping, typically if they're not kept in proper numbers or in smaller spaces.
There are a lot of great options for tetras out there. Maybe check out some bottom dwellers too like cory cats or kuhli loaches, but keep in mind both of those are going to need a smooth substrate and sand would be preferred. Keep us posted!

OK, cool. Appreciate the help! For substrate we put in a finer gravel, almost like sand, but a little bit denser. I'll check out the ones you mentioned as well, appreciate it! For sure, I'll probably be posting around here how everything goes!

Hi.
Mixing different species of fish is always a bit touch and go. Too many variables to specify which fish will get on with other fish.
I like lots of small fish and am definitely a Tetra fan, I have a 55g and keep serpae, cardinals, diamond head, lemon, black neons, rummy nose and glowlights. They all get on great in my very densely planted tank but may not in a more open tank. They all have room to get away from each other if needed.
I have soft water which is ideally suited to tetras and so it is easier to keep them happy. Livebearers like guppies are happier in harder water but all fish will acclimatise if the water is not too extreme. You have guppies and I assume they are doing well so maybe you could stay with Livebearers. I personally don't mix Livebearers and egg layers (guppies and tetras) but I've seen it work in a friends tank. I also don't mix barbs with tetras, barbs can be too boisterous and tiger barbs too big.
A variety of fish might seem interesting but a single species tank, like a large shoal of your favourite small fish, can look really good too.
Good luck with your upgrade

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok, thanks! I was looking at some beginner ones. I saw some red tetras (seperhea??) and the tiger barbs (seem more advanced?). Was also looking at a male dwarf gourami, other then that I have no idea really about the others

A DG would be OK.
Serpae tetras can be nippy, so can tiger barbs, but TBs need a bigger tank as mentioned.
I would do this:

6 cherry barbs
6 neon tetras
6 albino/bronze cories
1 dwarf gourami

Hi.
Mixing different species of fish is always a bit touch and go. Too many variables to specify which fish will get on with other fish.
I like lots of small fish and am definitely a Tetra fan, I have a 55g and keep serpae, cardinals, diamond head, lemon, black neons, rummy nose and glowlights. They all get on great in my very densely planted tank but may not in a more open tank. They all have room to get away from each other if needed.
I have soft water which is ideally suited to tetras and so it is easier to keep them happy. Livebearers like guppies are happier in harder water but all fish will acclimatise if the water is not too extreme. You have guppies and I assume they are doing well so maybe you could stay with Livebearers. I personally don't mix Livebearers and egg layers (guppies and tetras) but I've seen it work in a friends tank. I also don't mix barbs with tetras, barbs can be too boisterous and tiger barbs too big.
A variety of fish might seem interesting but a single species tank, like a large shoal of your favourite small fish, can look really good too.
Good luck with your upgrade

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok, sounds good. Appreciate your help/time. :)

A DG would be OK.
Serpae tetras can be nippy, so can tiger barbs, but TBs need a bigger tank as mentioned.
I would do this:

6 cherry barbs
6 neon tetras
6 albino/bronze cories
1 dwarf gourami

Awesome, thank you for the suggestion! :)

Back
Top Bottom