Stocking suggestions for 120ltr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bullbo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks,

I'm new to all this and just got a juwel rekord 120ltr tank. I will be starting a fishless cycle today or tomorrow. I wanted to have an idea of what to put in it by the time the cycle finished. I was thinking about ;
6x albino/or panda corys
10xcardinal tetras
1x dwarf gourami

Would this be ok to put into it eventually?

Thanks mebbid, any advice on keeping any of those fish? The guy in the pet store said he couldn't keep a dwarf gourami for more than two months, but that could just be his incompetence?

Thanks mebbid, any advice on keeping any of those fish? The guy in the pet store said he couldn't keep a dwarf gourami for more than two months, but that could just be his incompetence?

They'll be absolutely fine, only thing a dwarf gourami doesn't suit a centrepiece role in the tank.. They're shy and normally hide for a while.. Maybe try an angelfish or normal sized gourami?

They'll be absolutely fine, only thing a dwarf gourami doesn't suit a centrepiece role in the tank.. They're shy and normally hide for a while.. Maybe try an angelfish or normal sized gourami?

Yeah I second this, try Honey Gourami which are around the same size and not as skittish, although they are not as colourful.

I had a honey gourami but she was scared to come out because of more active fish..

Yeah I second this, try Honey Gourami which are around the same size and not as skittish, although they are not as colourful.

Honeys are actually smaller haha, mabye a gold or 3 spot. A dwarf is fine though

Could I add two dwarfs? Or would they be territorial and be constantly at each other?

Could I add two dwarfs? Or would they be territorial and be constantly at each other?

I was in your position but I watched the fish at the lfs for about 20 mins and they didn't seem territorial at all, I think if the tank is smaller then they can't really establish territories as such so they co exist fine. But in a larger tank they can so become more aggressive (just my personal observations)

My dwarf gourami never hid for a second and he CONSTANTLY swims back and forth right in the very front of the tank. I couldn't think of a better center piece fish than my Dwarf gourami.

As for caring for the fish, I would add the corys last. They ted to have issues with dirty tanks and it can potentially help to let the tank settle a bit before adding them. Other than that there's nothing particularly difficult about caring for any of those species.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I've settled on the lineup of cardinals, corys and a dwarf gourami. Ill keep you updated on the tanks progress.

The 30gallon Rekord 800 is a good starting tank. My first tank was the 700.

If you want panda corys then add them last, theyre notoriously sensitive and can die without reason. Seeing as though you have 80cm length id suggest serbai or peppered corys, they grow to a bigger size than pandas.

Well an update on my juwel Rekord tank. It's cycled as the water parameters are good for a week now. I started with a fishless cycle by just using fish food etc and some established filter material. I set the tank up at beginning of august and after a few days ended up putting four minnows in which I had in a 23ltr tank which I started up without knowing about cycling and it was still cycling while the minnows were in it. It was a lot easier controlling the ammonia in the bigger tank so for their sake i added them and they were having fun with more space.

Anyway while waiting for it to cycle I added fake plants, bogwood and some stones I collected. Bought a spare filter and added it.

Yesterday I went and bought 12 cardinal tetras. I only wanted 10 but they were the last 12 so I couldn't leave the other two alone. I acclimated them to the tank etc and added them to their new home. The minnows and tetras are best buddies now and swim as one shoal.

Today I got some java moss delivered and attached it to my bogwood. I will give it a week or week and half and think about adding a neon blue dwarf gourami or two? I'm not 100% satisfied with the plant arrangement but the little guys seem to really like it :)

Here's a few pics on a bad camera.

image-1163302913.jpg

image-3557701178.jpg

image-2166033398.jpg

image-3812409184.jpg

image-474321257.jpg

Looking good :) and the 12 neons is something I would do .. I went to buy 2 more black skirts and ended up with 3 as I couldn't leave one on its own ..

Looking good :) and the 12 neons is something I would do .. I went to buy 2 more black skirts and ended up with 3 as I couldn't leave one on its own ..

Thanks canary bird, I must correct myself I actually set the tank up nearing the end of August and it only took just over two weeks to cycle which I was delighted with as the smaller 23ltr tank is still cycling about six weeks after setting it up.

Mine is a 200 litre juwel prehistoric tank lol.. It was free and it does the job now that I've a filstar xp3 in and a eheim 2012 pickup for extra water agitation ..

It's 120ltrs juwel, don't know what model as i bought it second hand, but I'm presuming its an 800. It's my first big tank so I have nothing to compare it too but I can't fault it so far. It's 100cm X 30 x 40 and has a Juwel bio flow "standard" and a bio flow "super" filter in it.

Looking good Bullbo :) 12 sounds better than 10 anyway :p are you still going to put the corys in? They will love all that space and plenty of hiding places. :)

Back
Top Bottom