Stocking Suggestions for 36 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duck645

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

I have a 36 gallon bow front aquarium which had:
5 harlequin rasboras
3 peppered cories
3 julii cories
1 bristlenose pleco

The use of a fungal treatment caused a major cycle reboot and slaughtered most of my fish :(. Now the tank has:
2 harlequin rasboras
1 peppered cory
1 julii cory
1 bristlenose pleco
3 threadfin rainbowfish (new)

Do you have stocking suggestions for repopulating my tank? The major cycle was over a month ago and the surviving fish are a lot healthier now, but I'm in no rush to fill up the bio-load.

Thanks, do you have any suggestions for some other species I could add? I was thinking about celebes rainbows.

I would add 4 more harlequins at least 3 more peppered and 3 more juli Cory's. I would also add 2-3 more thread fin rainbows instead of adding any new species.

I will definitely get more cories and harlequins, would having 5 or 6 threadfins max out my tank?

I think it would get very close to maxing out.

:confused: Consider that you could keep 12 saulosi in a tank that size and they'd have a much higher bio-load.

7 harlequin rasboras
5 peppered cory
5 julii cory
1 bristlenose pleco
6 threadfin rainbowfish (new)

That sounds like a good stocking list.
If you want to add a centerpiece fish, look into a male honey gourami.

Just for clarification, how do you know how many cory cats to stock?

Because they need groups I reccomend at least 5 in a group that's why I recommended that many. It would be better to get rid of 1 of the 2 and get 7 more of that species though.

6-7 harlequin rasboras
5 peppered cory
5 julii cory
1 bristlenose pleco
6 threadfin rainbowfish

Would this work? This goes over the standard 1 inch per gallon, but I have seen tanks with as many cory cats as gallons plus other fish.

The 1 inch per gallon is a bad rule please do not follow it. Because all fish have different body types and bioload a. Like 5 inches of Oscar is going to put out 10 times the amount of crap as 5 inches of cory for example.

But yes that stock would work and I think it would look great! Upload some pics when it's all said and done.

6-7 harlequin rasboras
5 peppered cory
5 julii cory
1 bristlenose pleco
6 threadfin rainbowfish

Would this work? This goes over the standard 1 inch per gallon, but I have seen tanks with as many cory cats as gallons plus other fish.

That's fine. I'd go with 6 or 7 of each kind of cory just so they have company. I'm sure you know this already but BN plecos and corys require significant amounts of their own food. A lot of people think they scavenge leftovers and that's just not true.

Feed your corys and pleco at night when the lights are off so the other fish don't eat their food.

That's fine. I'd go with 6 or 7 of each kind of cory just so they have company. I'm sure you know this already but BN plecos and corys require significant amounts of their own food. A lot of people think they scavenge leftovers and that's just not true.

Feed your corys and pleco at night when the lights are off so the other fish don't eat their food.

Great advice right there most people do think that they only need to scavenge.

Great advice right there most people do think that they only need to scavenge.

It's sad that in this day and age things like shrimp, plecos, and corys are sold as "scavengers", and people are told they do not require their own food.

For plecos like BN, I suggest Sera's Catfish Chips, spirulina wafers, shrimp pellets, frozen mysis shrimp. The corys can eat the catfish chips too, shrimp pellets, bottom feeder wafers, frozen brineshrimp and occasionally frozen bloodworms.

Don't worry, I always put in an algae wafer and/or shrimp pellets for my BN pleco and cory cats. I usually have to split the algae wafer because my BN is greedy.

Back
Top Bottom