Stocking Suggestions for 38gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ms_guy99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,
Although we are still cycling...I think we are nearing the end...hopefully... but I figure it is time to look ahead and would like some stocking suggestions for this tank.

Tank Stats:
Marineland Emperor 400 filter, Tronic 200 W heater,
Solarmax HE 36" T5 lighting system (21watts) with 10, 000K daylight lamp
API Master Freshwater test kit.
Gravel substrate
1 Marineland blue light bubbler--not blowing bubbles....stuck to top of tank shinning light down wards (I had it on the bottom but was told the light shining upwards would disorient the fish---so no bubbler)

pH: stays around 7.6-7.8...after cycling want to get it closer to tap pH of 6.8...but one issue at a time
Temp: 78F

Keep in mind---tank is in bedroom of 2 boys (1.5 & 3.5 y/o) so I can't have fish that will be bothered by the occasional loud noise. I have them trained, the boys, to not touch the tank...Mommy and Daddy say if you touch the tank the fish will die....being as we have already lost 3 (they only know about two) the lesson has settled in! Granted they were not responsible for the loss...but gotta take advantage of the moment when you can. Now everyone who even comes close to the bedroom gets a stern warning by my 3 y/o. Even when I do PWCs....Mommy are the fish going to die--no honey...mommy can take water out without touching the tank...:huh: Me and my big mouth....

We have 4 lemon tetras. I love how active they are. They truly are a part of the family already!! They come see me when I go to check on the tank or test the water. Now testing about 2x per day...so they are used to seeing me... We used to have five...lost #5 during cycling:(...we miss him/her. But the loss has made us do right for the other 4! Should I add more to help complete the school??

We did have platty's (2)....and we will not be having them again. Not because they passed, but because we swore they were deceased half the time and I had multiple panic attacks...I don't react well to deceased animals. :ermm: Am I the only one who thinks they look like they are swimming upside down all the time???:confused:

Will be adding about 6-8 Glofish. Per my research they are not dyed, their glow capability is the unexpected result of genetic modifications done for environmental research.

The tank only has artificial plants...research of plants seemed like they were a lot of work and I wanted to focus on the fish first. If you think my conditions (light, filter, substrate, etc) can support a few plants and that would open our fish options I am open to considering easy to care for plants that you suggest.

I would like peaceful fish...easy to care for---if that exists! This is our first tank! Please let me know if you think the tank needs more artificial plants too and any other suggestions!

Attachments

• IMAG0621.jpg
    IMAG0621.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Aquarium Nov 2012 034.jpg
    Aquarium Nov 2012 034.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Thoughts on this stocking plan??

Anyone mind providing thoughts on this plan?

AqAdvisor states:

Warning: Red Cherry Shrimp may become food for Bolivian Ram.

Recommended temperature range: 24 - 24 C. [Display in Farenheit]
Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.5.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.
You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 129%.
Recommended water change schedule: 32% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 107%

Does maxing the stocking level mean it doesn't matter the filtration capacity is over 100% and something should go?

Has anyone had issues with cherry shrimp and a Bolivian Ram in the same tank?

6 x Lemon Tetra (have to get 2 more)
6 x GloFish (Prefer Tetra's, AqAdvisor only had danios)
8 x Neon Tetra
6 x Gold Barb
1 x Bolivian Ram
6 x Red Cherry Shrimp

TIA!!!!

What I passed on and why:
Wanted a red dwarf gourami but read they are skittish with loud noise so don’t think that will work---any other suggestions?

Have to pass on loaches---mother in law has a massive fear of snakes and these will scare the mess out of her, being as she is the primary free babysitter…she is the priority!

Passed on Cories…although I have seen multiple people post theirs do well in gravel…I don’t think my gravel is good for a cory

Last edited:
No personal experience but I've read lots that the RCS would be an expensive snack. Once our tank is cycled, we're going to get ghost shrimp and then a couple of Bolivians a few months after that. I'm hoping all will go well.

I'd go with either the neons or the gold barbs. The rest looks fine. The ram may eat the cherry shrimp. I have a german blue with blue velvet shrimp and I haven't seen her attacking the adults but I also seem to have less shrimp than I did before I put her in lol. You could try ghost shrimp as they are larger.

Also your PH is fine, don't mess with it. Trying to adjust PH often causes more problems than anything else. The fish will adapt to your PH as long as it's stable.

I'd go with either the neons or the gold barbs. The rest looks fine. The ram may eat the cherry shrimp. I have a german blue with blue velvet shrimp and I haven't seen her attacking the adults but I also seem to have less shrimp than I did before I put her in lol. You could try ghost shrimp as they are larger.

Also your PH is fine, don't mess with it. Trying to adjust PH often causes more problems than anything else. The fish will adapt to your PH as long as it's stable.

Ahh drats...wasn't a big fan of the looks of ghost shrimp...but don't want to terrorize the cherry shrimp. So....ghost shrimp it is.

Neons...or Barbs...we will go with the Barbs I think!! I would love the neons---they look cool but the Barbs will be different from everyone else in the tank.

And LibraryGirl...you keep telling me to leave the pH alone!!! :cool: I haven't done anything to mess with it since you told me to stop!! :) Glad to have one less thing to worry about. I was just concerned that my tap was so much lower...but now that I think about it we won't be doing 50% PWCs as often in the future so the slight drop for a few hours when doing the PWCs at 50% won't be an issue. the small 20% PWCs I am planning to do weekly won't be an issue!!

Yeah....have a stocking plan!!!!

:dance::thanks::dance::thanks::dance:

Now just have to finish cycling.....:whistle::popcorn:......

Ahh drats...wasn't a big fan of the looks of ghost shrimp...but don't want to terrorize the cherry shrimp. So....ghost shrimp it is.

Neons...or Barbs...we will go with the Barbs I think!! I would love the neons---they look cool but the Barbs will be different from everyone else in the tank.

And LibraryGirl...you keep telling me to leave the pH alone!!! :cool: I haven't done anything to mess with it since you told me to stop!! :) Glad to have one less thing to worry about. I was just concerned that my tap was so much lower...but now that I think about it we won't be doing 50% PWCs as often in the future so the slight drop for a few hours when doing the PWCs at 50% won't be an issue. the small 20% PWCs I am planning to do weekly won't be an issue!!

You could look into Amano shrimp if you don't like ghosts?

Ha, sorry. I thought you mentioned in the original post that you had wanted to adjust it. The PH out of your tap may differ from what's in the tank as it gasses off but it shouldn't be an issue. My tap PH is 8.4 but it gasses off to 7.2 which is what my tank's PH is, so it's a pretty large difference. I do 50% water changes weekly and haven't had problems. It's when you start adding chemicals to try to adjust it the PH tends to go up and down which is worse for fish. A temporary shift when doing a water change shouldn't matter much, at least I haven't found it to be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom