Stocking suggestions for a 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wryly23

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an empty (filled with water and plants-cycled) aquarium lying around and I was searching for a unique stocking idea. Just an FIY, tetras are all a dollar at my LFS :)

Fishie said:
Maybe guppys,mollys,or platy would be good.

I love mollies but thought they were too big for a 10. Already was thinking guppies/endlers and platies just don't catch my eye.

wryly23 said:
I love mollies but thought they were too big for a 10. Already was thinking guppies/endlers and platies just don't catch my eye.

Hmm..betta with shrimp or African dwarf frog? Swordtails?

Fishie said:
Hmm..betta with shrimp or African dwarf frog? Swordtails?

moved my betta on up to the 55g.... Never really like the frogs- they're expensive! And swordtails look like platies to me. Sorry you're trying your hardest and I'm shooting you down. I'm not used to talking to other fish lovers. I'm the only one for miles it seems. How many mollies (if any) do you think I could put in a 10g?

how about a small school of 5-6 neon tetras or rasboras or glolight danios, a dwarf gourami, and 3-4 cory cats.

Gish said:
how about a small school of 5-6 neon tetras or rasboras or glolight danios, a dwarf gourami, and 3-4 cory cats.

that's actually what I have in my other ten gallon! But I love that tank so much I would do something similar. Do you think glowlight tetras and neon tetras would school? And what is a substitute for cories? I've had a bad experience with cories.... :(

I wouldn't do glowlights in a 10g. IMO, neons are ok, but are pushing the size limits a bit as it is. Unfortunately, not many of the commonly available tetras are good for a 10g tank. No mollies or swords. Not even 1 IMO.
Any ember tetras, jellybean tetras, chili rasboras, celestial pearl danios, or other similar nano fish?

absolutangel04 said:
I wouldn't do glowlights in a 10g. IMO, neons are ok, but are pushing the size limits a bit as it is. Unfortunately, not many of the commonly available tetras are good for a 10g tank. No mollies or swords. Not even 1 IMO.
Any ember tetras, jellybean tetras, chili rasboras, celestial pearl danios, or other similar nano fish?

Where I live, we don't have any of those fish. What about harlequin rasboras and a dwarf gourami?

Okay cool would a dwarf gourami and guppies be compatible? In my experience they have, but are they generally?

Generally, yes. Sometimes I have heard of dg being a bit mean to tankmates, but they are generally peaceful enough when no other territorial fish are around.

Back
Top Bottom