Stocking suggestions/help on 70 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apotocki

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know that I'm getting ahead here as I just started cycling my tank on Saturday but the excitement of looking ahead to adding fish is unbearable!
I have a 70 gallon Show tank....that means its 48x13x26tall. I've decorated it with driftwood, a rock cave, and about 18 silk plants of various sizes.
I'd like some advice/opinoins on stocking it. My initial plan is as follows:

3-4 Angels (not sure if pairs or add numbers are better and I plan on starting off with small fish)

10-12 Cardinal Tetra's (I realize there may be a 'problem' with the angels?)

3-4 Blue Rams (again, not sure about pairs or odd numbers here)

and

another group of 'something' such as Rasbora's (6-8), Giant Danios (5-6), or another tetra like Rummynose (6-8). I'm kinda leaning towards the Danios to add a bit of size to the upper level of the tank......Opinions here are welcome.

Now for the bottom.....confusion. I was leaning towards 5 Cory's, a couple Clown Loaches, and maybe a smaller Pleco. But I'm reading about algae (and kinda not real fond of a Pleco) and wondering about Oto's (maybe 4-5). If I was to go with the Oto's, would/should I sacrifice the Cory's? Again, opinions are welcome.

Also, I realize that I'm going with fish that are a bit more difficult (except for maybe the Danio's, Rasbora's if I go with them) soooooo, once my tank is cycled, how should I introduce these guys? (what order/quantity).

THANKS in advance for any responses....this forum has provided a wealth of information and continues to be very interesting!

Alan

Your plan sounds good to me, Alan. If you want to get a pair or two of angels, get 5-6 babies and eventually you ought to get at least one pair. Then you'll probably need to return the "extras" because their presence will likely not be tolerated by the pair, but in a 70 gal it might work. I don't see why you could not also get some rams, as their territories are relatively small and they are one of the most peaceful of cichlids.

I have kept cardinals with angels and everything was fine when the angels "grew up" with the cardinals. I'd get the cardinals before the angels. A school of giant danios sounds good, or you could consider hatchets for something a little different. If you have a dwarf pleco or two in there I don't think you will need otocinclus, but you should get them if you like them. I think you could have 4-5 otos and a dwarf pleco as well. You'll have to feed them and not rely on algae to keep them going. Cory cats are not algae eaters and eat regular fish food, so they are not going to compete with the otos or the plec. I adore cory cats, so get some sinking food for them.

I'd start the stocking with your school of danios/rasboras, then a couple of weeks later get your plec and loaches, then a couple of weeks later get the corys, then last the angels. If you get otocinclus wait several months for the tank to be well established before introducing them. Rummynose are slightly more sensitive than others as well so if you are getting those I'd wait for the tank to be a little more mature and stable before adding them as well.

Mine is just one opinion and there are a million ways you can stock and introduce, so I am sure more opinions are on the way. :D

Yeah, you should definently start with the danios or rasboras first but make sure to only get like 2 and then you can add the rest the next week or a few days after. 1 or 2 weeks after a pleco (if you're getting one) a few tetras. Next week the rest of the tetras. Loaches next, angels next, rams, and last otos as TankGirl said.

I agree. What you have sounds good. I love rasboras. Definitley check them out, for a nice addition of color, and a awesome midlevel schooling fish.

I would go for the pleco, IMO. You can get some pretty cool plecos, besides just the commons you see in most LFS's.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom