Stocking Suggestions - Re thinking my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chels10117

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

I've been rethinking my fish stocking a lot recently. I have a 36 gal.

I currently have 5 glofish tetras and 5 platys that are not getting a long at all... I think I might take the platys back to the store. I've only had them for 3 days. They are fighting with each other and chasing my poor little tetras around... So the tetras are not schooling and I think they are stressed. Platys are supposed to be peaceful fish... Well I beg to differ with how mine are acting. They also chase everyone away from the food and steal my poor little algae eaters pellets... and I even throw them in after dark. I don't like their behaviors.

I also don't think they fit my tank. I wanted really bright and colorful schooling fish and they don't even school. The males are fighting and my tank is a mess. The people at the pet store said they wouldn't fight but they are...

What would you guys do?

I'm thinking about taking them back. What schooling fish get along with glofish tetras (aka white skirt tetras)? I don't want a full tank of glofish... I want some variety, colorful, schooling fish.

I might want some big centerpiece fish too... What about angels? Or
Gouramis? I've had them before and they are really pretty and seemed to get along with tetras.

I'm thinking neon tetras. Are there any other fish that would get along with them that tightly school and are colorful?

Thanks!

How about adding an elephant nose or cardinal tetras,rummy nose etc

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How about adding an elephant nose or cardinal tetras,rummy nose etc

Elephant noses are hard to care for and require specialized tanks. Cardinals and rummynose tetras are both good options- do you like guppies or gourami?

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I was thinking about dwarf gouramies. Possibly a pair? I got some neon tetras today and they are getting picked on by my bigger tetras. :( I'm hoping it's just an adjutment period. I thought they got along...

What about Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis, Pseudomugil gertrudae, or Pseudomugil paskai cf. "red neon" Pseudomugil rainbows are really cool. I'd rather toss out the visually disturbing glowlights tetras though. Oh crap, that sounded really mean. I just hate glofish. They creep me out.

Sent via TIE Fighter

Yeah. I like them a bit more now that I know they have a boosted fluorescence gene, not duded.

Sent via TIE Fighter

Yeah they are made genetically. They were actually accidentally made while scientists were doing research to help detect environmental pollutants. And are used in search of a cure for cancer. So I like to support the scientific research. :)

Dyed*, and now I want them a bit more. I am more against the GloFish company because the make eye-burning gravel and plants that stress fish out big-time.

Sent via TIE Fighter

Dyed*, and now I want them a bit more. I am more against the GloFish company because the make eye-burning gravel and plants that stress fish out big-time.

Sent via TIE Fighter

Most Fish are actually what is called Trichromatic. This means that they can only detect three shades of color and while I personally think that rainbow colored gravels and fake plants are extremely unattractive it won't stress the fish anymore than normal gravel and natural colored fake plants. What stresses the fish are the 2.5-5.5 gallon kits that they sell for the modified Zebra Danios and skirt tetras. I personally am not a fan of Glowfish but they could potentially run the inhumane makers of dyed fish out of buisness as Glowfish can offer the same pastel colors humanely.

Oh I don't use the glofish decor and rocks looks ugly to me. I also hate plastic plants, mine are all silk. My tank has a natural feel too it. But I love colorful fish and these guys are great too look at. They really make your tank pop.

Oh I don't use the glofish decor and rocks looks ugly to me. I also hate plastic plants, mine are all silk. My tank has a natural feel too it. But I love colorful fish and these guys are great too look at. They really make your tank pop.

Ok, cool. For some other fish though with your 5 tetras you could do a powder Blue gourami or another kind, some corys, and maybe a Bristle nose pleco.

That would put you at
5 Glofish
1 Gourami of some kind
6 corys
1 bristlenose pleco

With that you would be pretty close to fully stocked with a little extra room should you ever want to add another couple of small fish. (y)

Here is what my tank looks like. Some might think my decor is cheesy, but I love it. :) Got 10 neons and 6 glofish right now.

Attachments

• 11414623_841964539212520_1384841209_n.jpg
    11414623_841964539212520_1384841209_n.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 51
Ok, cool. For some other fish though with your 5 tetras you could do a powder Blue gourami or another kind, some corys, and maybe a Bristle nose pleco.

That would put you at
5 Glofish
1 Gourami of some kind
6 corys
1 bristlenose pleco

With that you would be pretty close to fully stocked with a little extra room should you ever want to add another couple of small fish. (y)

I've got the 6 glofish, because I decided to get one more, and did end up getting 10 neons. My fish are getting along great. The platies were just not looking good in my tank... I felt bad for tanking them back but It wasn't working out.

Yes I'm going to add a dwarf blue gourami. :D Maybe some cories, not sure.. Or some of the smaller glofish danios to kind of tie everything together. But definitely a small bristlenose pleco. Getting those 2 fish leaves me with 8 gal to spare. I'm not sure if I want to leave it under stocked or get a couple more fish. Thanks for the suggestions!

I also still need to get a blue light for my tank. They sell the light at petsmart but it's a bit expensive. I might see if they will get me a discount. The guys who work at the store like me (I think one of them like likes me xD). The other day he gave me 20% off a testing kit just because. I think the neons and the blue gourami would look great under blue lighting along with my glofish.

Chels-your tank looks so beautiful ,reminded me of Swiss nyon lake.the dragon is awesome :))

Y ideal setup for fish would be 5 cory cats ( I reccomend Swartz or Julie both look amazing) 3 SAE's and a pair of 2 Rams or apistos( if pair they may chase away fish if they are a breeding pair) and then 4 harlequin rasboras ( the fish I mentioned I above are peaceful and beautiful and the SAE's and cory cats will be the clean up SAE's fpr algae Corey's for leftovers harlequins will do great in almost any tank from my experience

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom