Stocking Ten Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a ten gallon aquarium that I need some stocking idea for.(I intend to upgrade the filter to a Tetra Whisper 20 or supplement with a small box filter)This will be a low tech planted tank. It is cycled, I had it checked by a LFS with an API test kit.0 ammonia and nitrite,7.4 Ph if I remember correctly.No, I can't get a API master kit.

Substrate-Multi-Colored Gravel,10 Lbs, 1 inch thick, will be changing to sand so any suggestions would be nice.

Plants-Green Foxtail, unknown broadleaf plant, very dark shade of green, Riccia flutains(dying), 11 fake plants.

Filter- Tetra Whisper 10i

Heater- Top Fin heater( can't remember wattage)

Lighting- Stock lights

Food- Flakes, Hikari algae wafers and first bites for fry, blanched lettuce treats, hardboiled egg yolk treats

Current stocking-
3- female guppies(2 gravid)
3- female guppy fry(2 will be rehomed if anyone is interested)
1- male guppy fry( has found a new home, will be going there soon)

So, I need plant and fish ideas. I'd like to have a good variety of bottom, top, middle swimmers.
Thank you in advance,
Emerald

Unfortunately with guppies already in a 10 gal you're pretty limited as you're over half stocked with 3-4 guppies. If they keep having babies the tank will become fully stocked fast. If you have a separate setup for the fry and/or can rehome them fast you might be able to put in 4 small Corys (pygmy or dwarf). You might be able to get away with a small group of nano fish like ember tetra or chili rasbora, 6 of either. YOu'd be a bit overstocked still but nothing major as long as you keep up a good water change schedule (50% weekly) and clean the substrate regularly and remove any fry before they can overrun the tank. Maybe others will have some better ideas.

As for plants, if you plan on keeping the light you have you could try more low-light plants like anubias or java fern. Riccia fluitans and foxtail require moderate to high light so your stock lighting may not be enough.

Watch any plants that are dying; remove any decaying leaves or it can quickly mess up your water quality.

Thanks librarygirl. I'm rehoming all but two fry from the coming batches and will be seperating males and females
My current females will also be leaving soon

Oh, I'll only be keeping two males from the coming two batches and rehoming or placing in a new tank my three females.
So I'll only have two male guppies

So this is my list-
3x Pygmy Cory or 1x dwarf pleco
2x male guppy
4x silvertip tetra or 4x bloodfin tetra
I'll be using a twenty gallon tetra whisper HOB filter once I start the stocking

I added a gold dust lyretail Molly and a peppered Cory.

Back
Top Bottom