Stocking: Thinking out-loud

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I just used some fluval BioMax pellets inside the BioBag where the carbon would normally go. So aside from bacteria growing in the tank, it should easily grow in the filter on the sponge, and the BioBag, and the BioMax. Then as the BioBag gets nasty and falls apart, I'll just transfer the BioMax to a new bag and be good to go. I'm still keeping a few bags of carbon around that I'll place in the filter every now and then as needed.

So after reading countless hours worth of horror stories of cycles taking 60+ days for individuals without any seeding material until they used SafeStart, I broke down and bought some. I'm not trying to use it to "instantly cycle" my tank, just give it the kick-start I need. I know it's early in the game to think my cycle will never start (7 days), I figure if others waited 60+ days with no change, then added SafeStart and had a cycled tank in a week, why not add it a week into it, and get a cycled tank a couple weeks later rather than 60+ days. I'll let you all know how it goes, and maybe turn some non-believers into believers (or just waste $10). So on day 7 I had (before SafeStart):

pH: 7.6
Ammo: 4ppm
NitrItes: 0ppm
NitrAtes: 0ppm

Hey bstnrdsx

Have to admit I have gone ahead and purchased Safestart as well!

Though I put some in yesterday, I just thought I better do a huge 90% wc to get rid of some of my Nitrate (its my ammo thats letting me down as trate and trite all fine) so I done that today and then put in some aquasafe so will leave it 24hr then I will dose up the safestart again.

Im just praying this will be the thing needed to sort my ammo out because as soon as that can get 3ppm of ammo gone in 24hr... here come the fishies!

Well, SafeStart did nothing.

7 days after putting it in, I still have 4ppm ammo, and 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. $10 down the drain pretty much. So now it's been 14 days total, and I've not seen my ammo move at all. Can't really figure out whats going wrong, as all my parameters are perfect as far as I'm concerned. pH is a little high, at 7.8 now (7.6 of out tap, not sure what has caused it to rise those .2 points) I've kept a steady temp at 86 degrees, I've kept it dark, and I've got the bubble wand going full speed. The ammo I used was the ACE brand that only has ammonia and water. Does it just normally take this long to start going? I'm just surprised that the SafeStart did absolutely nothing, which I thought it would at least eat away at some of the ammonia even if it didn't start my cycle. I'm now faced with 2 weeks wasted, and who knows when it's going to actually start the cycle. This was easier when I could take the advice of the LPS and add fish 24 hours after set up and lose half my stock.

Back
Top Bottom