Stocking tips and ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys so I donated the tiger barbs and i need to stock my 10g with 10g fish lol... Any ideas???

Also thinking about my 55g any stocking ideas for it

I'm a big fan of a single male betta, a school of small fish like neons, and a bunch of shrimp, in a 10g.

No common pleco in a community tank that size. For the ten, I would do 6 neons, 1 betta, and 3 ottos. As for the 55, I would do 1 rainbow shark, 6 orange laser cories, a bristlenose pleco, 8 black skirt tetra, 10 neon tetra, and a pair of rams. Just IMO.

There are indeed. Perhaps, you could make a list of the fish you're interested in and we could help figure out what would work best from that? Everyone has their favorites.

If I ever started over with my 10g, I'd probably get rainbow darters. The only thing I'd be really leery about is the whole indicator species thing (read: first to keel over) but they're riffle/stream fish so the tank would have a lot more filtering than a tropical tank anyway.

honey and chocolate gouramis are really pretty, but you would only be able to put 1 in a 10 gallon. there are also neon, ember, black skirt tetras... the list gos on and on with tetras, but be carful some tetras need larger tanks, in fact i would not even recommend the black skirts my self. as for live bearers, there are platys, guppies, endlers and mollies(allot of species get really big though and reqiure large tanks).

as for the 55 gallon, there are SOOOOOO many options, if i were you i would probably go with some cichlids. or if you don't like cichlids here is a cool stocking plan:

10 bleeding heart tetras,
8 neon tetras,
7 bronze or panda corydoras(most active fish i have ever owned),
1 red tailed black skark,
1 pair of blue rams,
10 nerite snails(eventually you would have hundreds though)
5 cherry shrimp,
5 platys,
1 dwarf gourami and 5 tiger barbs.

Thank you everyone... This has been very helpful

As for what I'm interested in... I really like...just going to throw it all out there

Koi swords
Koi angels
Yellow lab cichlids
Clown loaches
African cichlids
Red tail sharks
Flamingo guppies
Tiger and albino barbs
Glofish
Ballon belly mollies but I've heard bad things about them.

I am just a beginner at the whole biology of keeping fish so I would never try salt water but that is more like what I like. Colorful fish that are a pretty good size. I dint want mean fish so I wouldn't want oscars but I like their look and discuss as well but I think they would be a bit much.

When I was a kid I had guppies and mollies and swords and bettas. Basically community tanks. I would like to learn more and kind of get something different this time . I'm going to really try and take my time with the 55g

I do have a high ph in my tap so that is probably important in determining what kind I get. I read cichlids like high ph.
I would like to have large schools or the same kind of fish for the 55 as for the ten I don't guess it matters

Back
Top Bottom