Stocking update / 15 gallon long tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennyhannah2011

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well after all your help yesterday I've decided on the following;

6-8 harlequin rasbora
2 platys - to go in now
3 panda cories as I've read they stay small
1 dwarf gourami as my centre piece

What do you think.

I hope this will be ok as I think it will look lovely and be peaceful too

Sounds like a beautiful group, but a gut reaction is that it's too many fish? I'm not sure cories and platies are happy in such small numbers either. Great start though!

Have you used aqua advisor at all to check your fish against tank size and filter? I don't have the fish sizes in my head but was looking at the same fish in a 29 gallon and that's more than half what would have fit.

Maybe try smaller fish? The harlequins are big to have a school in 15 gallons. Dwarf pencilfish have similar coloring and are small, very striking, and not something you see every day. There is a Pygmy Cory. And then you could use a few platies as the centerpiece... Ones with black yellow and red would compliment the pencilfish. I'm not completely sure the pencilfish go with platies temperamentally.

Sounds like a beautiful group, but a gut reaction is that it's too many fish? I'm not sure cories and platies are happy in such small numbers either. Great start though!

Have you used aqua advisor at all to check your fish against tank size and filter? I don't have the fish sizes in my head but was looking at the same fish in a 29 gallon and that's more than half what would have fit.

Maybe try smaller fish? The harlequins are big to have a school in 15 gallons. Dwarf pencilfish have similar coloring and are small, very striking, and not something you see every day. There is a Pygmy Cory. And then you could use a few platies as the centerpiece... Ones with black yellow and red would compliment the pencilfish. I'm not completely sure the pencilfish go with platies temperamentally.

Oh poo. I thought I had it :(

Never known anything quite so difficult as this as there really doesn't seem to be any true right answers.

I Havnt used that aw advisor as I have no idea in my filter. It's just the ones that came with my 2nd hand tank

Just used that site and although my actual filter isn't there after some research I've found the new version of it.

And I have got my stock list that it approves of hurrah

10 dwarf pencil fish
3 Mickey Mouse platys
1 dwarf gourami
3 dwarf cories

Hurrah hurrah hurrah

Yep, I've observed that corydoras seem to be happier in larger groups. I never keep them below 4.
Anyway, good luck on your tank :D
Of course, cycle it first to avoid disasters :)
Oh! And don't add all the fishies at once okay?
So your tank could slowly adjust :)
ENJOY :D

Yep I'll be adding the platys first and then taking my time.

Looks like pencil and platys are ok together and I can add another cory according to aqadvisor

Do you go to fish shops or buy online? How can I buy what I want?

That's great news! You might have to adjust a little depending what the stores have. Online seems to be expensive and more for larger orders.

Thanks you all so much for your help.

Is there any particular order these should go in?

Back
Top Bottom