Strange algae in freshwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burger Wife

Aquarium Advice Regular
Soo there's this algae in my tank, it's like green thread and it floats at the top of the tank looking very ugly. Does anyone know what it is and how it should be treated? I tried turning off lights for a few days and it was fine but a few days later whoop it came back .. thanks a lot!IMG_20180119_163408.jpg

My first impression from the pic is that the noted growth is a Fungus. If you are able to eliminate algae as being the culprit, and the problem is in fact fungus, then extra thorough gravel vacs and Manuel removal will help. The inclusion of snails will also help.

There is definitely staghorn. Hair algae can be several shades. Is there co2? If not, how much light are you running?

Hello Bur...

There are many different kinds of algae, nothing to worry about as long as you're keeping a clean tank and that means lots of large water changes. Keep the food to a minimum and start a more aggressive water change routine to remove dissolved nutrients. Some algae is good for the water.

B

Soo there's this algae in my tank, it's like green thread and it floats at the top of the tank looking very ugly. Does anyone know what it is and how it should be treated? I tried turning off lights for a few days and it was fine but a few days later whoop it came back .. thanks a lot!View attachment 306386
I know I'll get blasted on here for this but here it goes. I add 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of water in my tank. This does several beneficial things for fish in my opinion but it is also affective in keeping algea out of your tank. This is just an idea as salt is pretty controversial in freshwater fish care. These ideas are based solely off my personal experiences.

That looks very much like staghorn algae.

From experience its horrible to get rid of. I have had to strip tanks and start fresh in the past.
If its just your plants and you can get them out easily. 1) You can bleach dip them- 1 part bleach, 5 part water. Few seconds in soak then rinse a lot. 2) you can soak in hydrogen peroxide, no stronger than 6% proof. Leave for 15/30 mins then brush off with an old toothbrush.
If you cant get them out its best to cut out the infected leaves.

I found that poor circulation helps it grow but it also uses photosynthesis too. Its a nightmare.
Huge waterchanges help, black mollys love to eat it, flying foxes dont. Spot dosing peroxide works well but you need to keep a routine.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom