STRANGE betta behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SerLunchbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering if anyone else had an experience like this.
I guess sometime between 9pm last night and 4:00pm today i had a 1/2" rubber mouth pleco die in my 15 gallon (looked to have been beaten on badly!!)

Anyways, my male betta literally latched onto it and moved it into the bubble nest that he had built (4 or 5 bubbles high in most areas.) The male then nudged the dead pleco into the bubbles and above them. He then progressed and blew bubbles underneith the pleco. Of course i scooped the pleco out but has ANYONE had any experience like this.

This is kinda freaking me out. He destroys the nest when the female betta is in there with him but tries to nest a dead pleco ....

This has got to be the wierdest fish behaviour I have ever heard 8O . Sorry, but I've never experienced or seen anything like that

i am still in shock ... this is the strangest thing i have ever seen in my life that i can think of at the moment.

Rach101: Sure i will take the names .... i hope they are fluent in bubble pillow talk

ive never had any experience with a dead fish but i think its natural. they use pieces of debris (plant leaves etc) to hold their bubble nest together and i guess your pleco was handy

yeah i agree with krap101.....who knows though maybe he was burying your pleco in the clouds of the aquarium(bubbles at the top is like the clouds in our sky)..lol...see....bettas do have personalities!!

Wow, SerLunchbox -- that is yucky. I have heard of gouramis pulling bits of plant material to incorporate into the bubblenest, but I've never heard of bettas doing it to the extent that gouramis do, and my bettas have never made a nest using plant material. That is definitely weird, but I guess it's instinct somehow.

I'm sorry about the little pleco too. :( Do you have an idea of what happened to him?

Back
Top Bottom