Strange nitrite readings in established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neurotik

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've had a 55 gallon community tank cycled and running fine for going on two months now, I usually do tests on my water parameters once a week now, typically on the weekend sometime before I do my PWC for the week, and today I got some strange results.

pH: around 7
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: something between 0 and 0.25, the color of blue on my master test kit is definitely darker than the 0 shade, but doesn't have that shade of purple to it like the 0.25 does yet.
Nitrates: 15-20

What could be causing me to have just an every so slight trace of nitrite in my water all of the sudden? This is the first time I have seen even the smallest trace from any water test since my tank finished going through its initial cycle well over a month ago. The only changes I've made to my tank since last week's water change and last week's water tests were the addition of a DIY CO2 setup and I've started dosing my tank with the Flourish line of fertilizers (N, P, K, and comprehensive) for my live plants I've started growing, and I also added a second canister filter (Filstar XP2) to my tank last weekend to get some better filtration and circulation in my tank. Before the addition of the XP2 I was just running my Eheim Ecco 2236 on it.

The only theory that I could come up with was that maybe since my XP2 doesn't have any established media in it yet, that some of the water that's passing through it more often than my Eheim is not getting all of the nitrites broken down as effectively, and that's why there's a very small trace of them in the water, but no ammonia or any other apparent issues? That probably sounds like a pretty silly theory though, lol, but that's all I could come up with thus far.

Some help would be appreciated, thanks!

Nope, all of my fish are accounted for and acting the same as they always have. I have also not added any new fish for several weeks now.

Any other ideas what could be causing this? :confused:

Nope, all of my fish are accounted for and acting the same as they always have. I have also not added any new fish for several weeks now.

Any other ideas what could be causing this? :confused:
I'm not sure if I saw it in your original post, but which test kit are you using? I know you've probably done a PWC since you noticed the weird reading, but I always test twice if I question the result using my API kit.

I suppose it's possible that the flourish you started using may skew your results. Did you test after the pwc to see if it was better?

Seemed better after a PWC, but I'm going to test again before I go to bed tonight and also again tomorrow morning, as I plan on doing some pruning of my plants tomorrow afternoon, so if I need to do another PWC it won't be much trouble.

As for the Flourish dosing causing the test results to be skewed a bit, I'm really not sure. I haven't read anything like that anywhere before, but I'll do some more research tonight to see if I can find anything that would validate that theory.

Has anyone else experienced very tiny traces of nitrites from dosing Flourish? Thanks for the ideas so far, keep them coming if anyone else has any thoughts!

maybe extra food or something broke down. if i ever see any spikes i water change as you know thats going to help. never heard of flourish causing any spikes before.

Hm, I suppose it could be extra food breaking down or something, but I'm usually really careful with how much I feed my fish each day and I never overfeed, everything is usually gone within a couple of minutes at most. I'll try to watch my feeding even closer this coming week though and see if the nitrites stay down by the end of the week, hopefully it's something simple like that which is throwing off my numbers a bit.

P.S. mgamer, I'll probably be PM'ing you about some plants in the coming week or so :)

yea, i was thinking the same thing as mgamer, possible over feeding....

I guess I'll be more careful with the feeding then this week. There's usually never even a single piece of food left after a couple minutes tops when I feed my fish though, and I'm the only one who ever feeds them, so that's the only reason I didn't suspect overfeeding.

I'll keep an eye on things throughout this week though and see what happens. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Back
Top Bottom