Strange Setup - Need Advice - Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newgirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All - I read the articles on cycling (after I had fish). I picked up five small goldfish at a stag and doe (they never should have been there I know - NOT my idea!!).

This is complex so brace yourselves:

- They were in 15g tank for 2 months until I learned more and realized they needed bigger tank. I knew nothing about cycling but had added dechlorinator. Started doing water changes (40% weekly) when I learned about cycling.

- They are now in a 90g tank - with Eheim cannister filter - ran the old filter alongside for two weeks. Tank still appears to be cycling - doing 10% water changes - AM - 0.25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20 (seems weird combo).

- Moved old filter to 15g tank - added heater and ran for couple of days. Had done 40% water change and cleaned gravel and vacuumed gravel as I understand now that goldfish are very mucky. Tank had been filled with water but empty of fish for two weeks.

- Purchased cardinal tetras and harlequin rasboros for old 15 gallon tank - all died within the first afternoon (despite water changes and my best efforts to help). They had been delivered to store the day before - which I now realize they should not have been sold.

Had water tested by a different store - they said ammonia was up - but my API kit says 0.25 and with the water change I hoped to save them. My seachem ammonia alert disc (only had 3 months says safe).

So two questions:

- Are 10-15% daily or every other day water changes sufficient to help my goldfish in their tank?
- I am now terrified to put anything in the 15 gallon heated tank. I am leaving it alone for two weeks at least. Due to the goldfish being in here and moving the old filter back figured it would have been cycled.

I know now I have made some stupid mistakes - (when I had tropical fish years ago we just added water conditioner and they were fine - none died but I know now they must have been stressed) I have been seeking advice but the advice given was that when I moved the old filter back to old tank it would be fine as already built up the bacteria - clearly this wasn't true....

goldfish are very messy fish, they require more filtration than other tropical fish. Sounds to me like your tank wasn't finished cycling. What I would do is test the water daily if it shows any ammonia or nitrite do a water change. Larger water changes are fine, you don't have to change only 10-20 gallons at a time...invest in a python or aqueon water changer it will make your life easier.

to help both tanks cycle faster, get some seeding material from a friend or from a local fish store. They will give you a used sponge or piece of filter pad etc..squeeze all the gunk out into your tank and let the sponge float in the water. Make sure it comes from a clean taken care of tank.

Goldfish are filthy, filthy fish (I've never owned one but have heard horror stories from those who have). Rather than burn yourself out doing water changes that frequently, I'd look into a small sump where you can grow plants to pull the nitrates out of the water. The plants would have to be in a sump because goldfish aren't plant friendly.

The fact that you had ammonia but no NO2 or NO3 in the smaller tank tells me your filter wasn't cycled or has uncycled.

Quest's suggestion of getting some seeding material from another tank is your magic bullet for fixing that tank.

Your 15gallon filter was on the 90 gallon, but that tank that wasn't finished cycling. So when you put it back on the 15, it still didn't have proper amounts of the right bacteria to sustain the fish you put in it (and unfortunately those were species that are sensitive to ammonia).

Quest's idea of getting seeding material is best, but if that isn't an option, I would leave the filter on the 15 gallon but continue to 'feed' the tank with fish food as if there were still fish in it, and continue testing until the readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and >30 nitrate. In my experience, cycling takes between 4 and 6 weeks. Once you are steadily getting those readings, start adding your stock (slowly).

Thank you everyone. These are common goldfish - with one comet I think. They seem to be doing fine. I am now doing 30-40% water changes every other day to help them out. I have also added two plants (Java Fern and Anubias) which they seem to be leaving alone so far but I will think about the sump idea if they start devouring them!

Am likely to keep the goldfish in the 90g as long as I can and then consider upgrading the tank as they are only 2 inches each at the moment figure I have some time. Am hoping I have a few years now they are in the bigger tank.

I don't have any friends with aquariums (I feel friendless now LOL) most of my friends have dogs or cats.

I will bide my time with the other tank and wait until the levels are clear before adding fish. Will post a topic in another forum as am looking for ideas on what to populate the 15g with once it has properly cycled.

Thank you! Interesting perspective, I currently have the.goldies in a 90g with eheim 2217 filter am hoping this will hold them for a while (there are 5 of them).

Back
Top Bottom