Strange Water parameters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blakskall

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, ive had a 30 gal community tank with sand for about 5 months now, and i admit i havent been up to date on checking my ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. Last i checked my levels were fine (that was 3 months ago) but now when i checked them my

ammonia is at 5.0ppm
nitrite is at at 0ppm
and nitrate is at 0ppm

how is this possible? lol my tank really shouldve cycled by now, cood it hav something to do with an sand substrate? thanks

as far as cleaning the tank i dont do much.. partial water changes about twice a month and replacing filter cartitages every month

If you changed the cartridges monthly, I think that you have been removing the good bacteria, because the majority of the bacteria live in the filter, less live in the sand, and even less in the ornaments.
I think that you broke the ammonia cycle with these monthly changes, you will need to do PWC daily to reduce the ammonia and wait for the tank to cycle again.

Don't change the filter cartridges, unless they "disintegrate".

I doubt its the sand itself.

What kind of test kit are you using?

And how often do you do PWCs?

I'm surprised to see ammonia and no nitrate.

Also, changing filter cartridges can cause mini-cycles, especially if you clean out the filter at the same time.

Manufacturers say to change them monthly so they can sell you more cartridges. Just rinse them in old tank water occassionally and only change them when they begin to fall apart. That way you don't lose all the beneficial bacteria that lives in the filter and cartridge.

mudraker, about twice a month, i guess ill start doing them daily untill it cycles again. How much should i change a day? 20%?

50% is best to keep ammonia down.

What kind of test kit are you using?

Its the Freshwater Master Kit by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals

Well, hopefully its just a mini-cycle and will pass.

Just keep up with your water changes until your test reads clean and don't change the cartridges so often. You might also want to up your PWC schedule to weekly.

Also, be sure to follow the instructions very carefully on the nitrate test, as its easy to get a false 0 if you forget to shake the #2 bottle long or the test tube long enough.

thanks very much mudraker, to b honest i didnt think PWC's were very important to my tank but i guess they are lol

Frequent PWC is the number one thing you can do to keep your fish healthy and give them a long life.

It might seem like a hassle, but it sure can prevent other problems in the long run that are much a bigger hassle.

50% daily tho? i have a deep 30 gal i just got done doing a 20% i didnt stress my fish out to much..

Are you missing any fish or had any dead fish lately? Ammonia doesn't just go up for no reason. something had to cause it. Are your fish acting funny like breathing hard? do you have alot of excess food on the bottom?

i had a danio die for no apparent reason recently.. The fish arent really breathing heavily, my tank however is getting a yellow to it, and theres some algae growth on my fake plants and rock

Blakskall said:
Ok, ive had a 30 gal community tank with sand for about 5 months now, and i admit i havent been up to date on checking my ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. Last i checked my levels were fine (that was 3 months ago) but now when i checked them my

ammonia is at 5.0ppm
nitrite is at at 0ppm
and nitrate is at 0ppm

how is this possible? lol my tank really shouldve cycled by now, cood it hav something to do with an sand substrate? thanks

How is the pH ?

You definately need to do more frequent PWC if the water is yellowish.

Your fish will get used to the PWCs. Mine actually get in the way. My corys (most are shy and skittish) nibble on my fingers when I keep my hands in there for long.

The algae in and of itself won't hurt your fish and if there are no live plants, won't hurt anything. Just wipe off the sides with a paper towel or appropriate scrubber.

Paper towels are safe as long as there are no dyes in them. I should have clarified.

Back
Top Bottom