Stress Zyme and my Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptnIgnit

Aquarium Advice Freak
2 weeks on the dot and my cycle completed.

Here is how it went:

both Ammonia and Nitrites each took a week to complete. Only two water changes in the middle of each week to keep water as safe as possible for fish.

I added stress zyme on first day, day 7 (few days after the 1st water change), and then a double dose (rest of what was in the bottle) after the 2nd water change. On the last dose I put the first of the double dose in the water like normal and then dumped out the rest of the bottle over my filter media.

Probably cut off a few weeks from my cycle so I think it was money well spent. Not as good as Bio-Spira, but this is much more readily available and I think is a worthwhile alternative.

Anyways, hope this will help out anyone else curious about the product!

Yes, Stress Zyme does work. And as you said, it's not as fast as Bio-Spira, but it does work. My 29G cycled in around 2 weeks, with a few plants added as well.

I've found that if you soak your filter media in stress zyme or similar product for about an hour or so before you set up your filters...you can really really really speed up the cycle. Much like you've done by dosing stress zyme throughout the cycle.

anywho..

Thats good to hear man. It's always nice to get a new tank set up really fast.

Wow, thats pretty impressive. Since biospira isn't available here, I'll have to look into that stuff next time I cycle something.

Yep, I read about soaking your filter media so that is why I dumped the last bit over mine. Can't say if it really helped but I bet soaking the media in it from the start would help quite a bit.

I wonder if this woulod work. Instead of soaking the media in it for an hour, let it soak for a day, and add a couple drops of ammonia. That way there's an ammonia soarce, and the bacteria may liven up more and take hold. Then put the media in the tank and dump the rest in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom