Stressed about a fish in cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually thought if getting a whole new filter last time this happened because I was having difficulty fully sanitizing and getting in all the books and crannys but my husband convinced me otherwise. I think at this point it's pointless because this stuff is in the tank now and the new filter would just suck it on up. I just bought so much Eco complete. I really don't want I have kt start fresh again so close like that. Makes ny wallet hurt. Especially this time of year when I'm having to buy presents. I definitely think this is STARTING in the filter but gets pushed out into the aquarium and it starts growing there too.

You mentioned you had a uv unit, I think? Is it any good? Do you think uv might help?

I also wonder how you can get that filter cleaner. Soak overnight in something?

The uv filter was on but I just turned it off because there was some slime hanging from the valve where the water exits. So the uv is ineffective with this. The microbes are probably too big to kill going once through the uv. I'd feel like it would have to do multiple passes through the uv to be effective. At least my fish still look really happy and colorful :) for now lol

The problem I'm having with the filter is I can only fill it up to soak to a certain height before it just runs out. I can't fully emerge my hob filter because of the electric motor. If that makes sense? I can't get a part wet on the outside so it's not like I can fully submerge my entire filter in a bucket over night or something :/

Marineland. And not that I can see.... I didn't want to try TOO hard and break it...although that would've meant I could get a new filter :p

I mean for now I'm not panicking just yet. It doesn't seem to be in the tank yet and what's on the glass is very small amounts and not too thick. It seems to just be a lot in the filter. And luckily it's not growing as quickly. Hopefully it's struggling to grow and then eventually die off.

Peroxide is a great disinfectant for hard to reach areas. You could consider soaking your filter with peroxide.

Could it be something inorganic in your water supply? Mybe get some R/O water and buffer it and change out the water and see if that helps. What is your substrate?

The first time I had fluorite and gravel. This time I have Eco complete. The problem is I can't fill up the filter enough to cover every infected area with peroxide. You should comment in the other thread to keep it in one place and have all ideas together :)

Back
Top Bottom