Stressed about a fish in cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abbitha

Aquarium Advice Activist
It's only been a couple days so I have a long journey ahead. But I'm noticing like a film developing on the glass. Kinda waves with the current in the water and it's stressing me to see it. Is this normal with doing a fish in cycle? My last cycle was fish less but I'm having to restart it up. Should I scrape it off the glass or leave it? Will it go away as my tank cycle? It's only been a couple days and my fish still look content.

Is it a clear, almost slimy film?
That is most likely diatoms - very normal in a new setup. I believe they feed on sillicates from your sand. It should disappear soon. You can wipe it off and vacuum it out.

Ok phew! Yes you described it. All the pictures show on the internet of diatoms was like a greenish brown tint. Will they turn color? Yes, it's very easy to wipe off the glass with my fingers? Will my oto cats not eat this?

Yes - I've seen the online info mostly shows brownish or reddish slime. Not sure why that is. The diatoms that developed in my tank were clear too. I believe that snails, catfish etc can eat it without any problem.

Ok do diatoms need light to grow? It's taking over the inside of my filter and causing it to back flow into the tank no hate to say this but it's looking oddly familiar to what i JUST got finished battling. Maybe I didn't sanitize my filter well enough :(

I did wonder if it could be the same stuff. The diatoms I've experienced did not behave like that, or grow in such quantity

I really have no idea what to do at this point. I'm just feeling so defeated. I just spent so much hard work, time, and money doing this for it to only come back again. I even treated the fish! And then I treated the tank when I moved the fish.

I'm just going to wait a few more days and hope it goes away as the tank cycles. Idk. If it doesn't rid I'm really thinking about just giving my fish away and quitting for awhile. That's how terrible I'm feeling. I'm in tears just thinking about rehoming a couple fish that I've grown attached to. Mainly my angelfish and my betta

That sounds wise. Waiting a few days, I mean. I'm not surprised you are upset. It's been such a strange problem, not really knowing what's wrong or how to deal with it.

What did you treat the fish for? Just use a mag float the clear slime should come right off. If its diatoms it will die out on its own. If the fish look healthy I don't think its anything you would need to treat.

What did you treat the fish for? Just use a mag float the clear slime should come right off. If its diatoms it will die out on its own. If the fish look healthy I don't think its anything you would need to treat.

This is not normal diatom growth. It's evil nuclear alien monster from space slime that totally took over Abbitha's tank and choked her filter in a matter of hours. You can read all about it here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ing-over-my-aquarium-what-is-this-287940.html

I was reading your other thread. I'm thinking. Give me some time.

One thought is that you should've disinfected everything with bleach or peroxide before setting up a new tank. The meds you used to treat ich may have caused a huge bacterial imbalance and there are bacteria that are slimey and will use a lot of oxygen.

Yes I bleached everything. The filter part was a little more difficult as it could only be filled up so much before running out so I did my best to get a towel and get all the crevices but I don't think I did everything :(

The behavior of this stuff seems to really prefer high flow areas first. And low light areas. I think the stuff that's free floating in the tank is it just getting back flowed into the tank from the housing unit as it rapidly produces more slime, algae, mold, fungus. Really, whatever it is as no one seems to know.

It's so weird when I drain the water out whatever is touching air it basically disappears. You would never think there was any kind of goo on there. Like the glass looks normal and everything and when I rub my finger across it it doesn't easily come off anymore and it doesn't feel slimy...just feels like the aquarium wall. Fills the tank back up and it's back to waving around in the water and feeling really gross! And rub your finger it very easily comes off. Doesn't easily come off after draining the water though. But what I'm going to do for now is everyday drain the water and wipe down the side walls in the filters housing unit and wipe off the glass and fill back up. Hopefully I can at least keep it at bay or something.

It doesn't seem to be AS fast growing but I think a lot of the reason is because I have no air bubblers running in my tank. This stuff really seems to favor water movement. Which is why it's over running the filter so quickly *shrugs* I honestly don't know and I'm all ears for any ideas and opinions

Like seriously you'd think it would leave behind some form of residue. Like to scrape off I
With a blade or something!

Does it seem to be starting in the filter? Do you think it's worth getting a whole new filter, or do you think it would just colonise that too?

Back
Top Bottom