Stuff floating on top of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super4Ever

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 120g tank being cycled right now at the house I'm moving into. Because I don't live there yet I don't get to check on it all the time. When I went there last I noticed some stuff floating on top of the tank. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what it might be.

image-2.jpg

it looks kind of like dust, which would be very prevalent in your house if you are just moving in. Does it have a lid? you might want to get one of those if not.

OK, I have found that I also had oily residue on my sump tank. The main tank was recently containing oily residue and no matter how much surface agitation.... Still oily.. Today I decided to go a little further than just the weekly water change.. I changed the filter sock and instantly the oily surface was GONE.. I therefore can only recommend that you maintain a strict habit of cleaning your filters and whatever keeps your water clean and I am positive that your oily residue will be a thing of the past.. I have two tanks and I find that the tank I have at work, that does not get looked after as carefully as the one at home is the one that starts to have issues..

Tank - 1 - OFFICE

Aquascape - initial setup March 2014 and then rescape August 2014

CADE Tank 800 x 800 x 600 - 320 litre

Sump filtration - Long noodles, 3 Layers Filter Pads. Carbon

UVIEW sterilizer

CO2 with inline reactor

ADA fertilising

ADA soil setup

RAZOR LED lighting

Twinstar

Tank - 2 - HOME

Juwel 120 litre tank - setup Dec - 2010