Substrate for new 30 gallon fish tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tashangel31

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to do sand substrate. I'm going to home depot to get pool filter sand. They are 50lb bags.

I need some guidance on how to start from the beginning with the sand.

How to clean it?
How much to put in?
How many days to let it settle?
When to add my filter on it?
When to add the plants and decorations?
And so on.

Also I am doing a fish less cycle on this one cause I am upgrading my 10 gallon to the 30. I already added the second filter to my 10 gallon to help seed a new filter. Both filters will be going over to the 30 gallon. I have a penguin 150 and a tetra whisper filter for it.

Thanks guys. Y'all are awesome!!

ok so i would say a week to let it settle 3 day till filter just an inch of sand and orniments u should be able to put in when u put the filter in

1 pound of substrate per gallon is a good rule.
You clean it by putting it in a bucket of some sort, stick a hose in it and let the water overflow. This way the water will carry the dust and other bad things away while leaving the sand. And make sure you stick the hose or some kind of stick or w/e to stirr up the sand.
PFS is a very heavy kind of sand and should sink in less than 10 minutes at the most. Give it 15 to be safe.
You can add the filter after the sand has settled.
Plants and decor can go in whenever you want.

If you are having a planted tank just a little more over an inch will do. Possibly 1.5 inches or 1.3 inches. Trust me the extra helps the plants roots really well.

Back
Top Bottom