Substrate Stess!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paleosnow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently moved and am starting to setup my 135g Cichlid tank and i am getting mixed opinions on what substrate would be the best for me and my fish and water parameters. As well as water clarity and ease of cleaning. Here is where im at now. I would like to have the blackest color possible but will be undergoing back surgery next week and im pretty sure its cost will be far out my comfort zone monetarily as i have beem on disability a month now and two more to go yet i want it done right and appealing to me. Can i get any reasonably priced? And if so tell me where. I wish i could find some possibly used thats no longer needed by one of our fellow folowers. On the other hand i did sum reseaching on a few posts and was covinced that Quikrete play sand is great for tank use but to the contrary ive heard that the Quickrete all purpose is the best for my needs. Ive got my mind set on black which i know isnt offered by them but something as white as i can get is my other desire. I was at a home imp. store the other day and just by looks i grabbed me up sum of the playsand. Ive read about the PFS too and ive been kina scarec away from what i read but there were many that recomended it and said it is the whitest availible but i live in Texas and i looked at the only kind they had which was Quikrete brand and it was browner than the play or all purpose so i got the playsand but not sure if its what i want. Ive ordered a 3d bg that is reddish brown rocks and plan to add several stacked and arranged thin slate type rocks with one large artificial stump or type of branch. Whats ya'll opinion on the substrate? I just dont want brown sub,brown rocks n wood and brown bg. It needs sum contrast in my opinion and i think will enhance the fishes colors. Please help!

I recently moved and am starting to setup my 135g Cichlid tank and i am getting mixed opinions on what substrate would be the best for me and my fish and water parameters. As well as water clarity and ease of cleaning. Here is where im at now. I would like to have the blackest color possible but will be undergoing back surgery next week and im pretty sure its cost will be far out my comfort zone monetarily as i have beem on disability a month now and two more to go yet i want it done right and appealing to me. Can i get any reasonably priced? And if so tell me where. I wish i could find some possibly used thats no longer needed by one of our fellow folowers. On the other hand i did sum reseaching on a few posts and was covinced that Quikrete play sand is great for tank use but to the contrary ive heard that the Quickrete all purpose is the best for my needs. Ive got my mind set on black which i know isnt offered by them but something as white as i can get is my other desire. I was at a home imp. store the other day and just by looks i grabbed me up sum of the playsand. Ive read about the PFS too and ive been kina scarec away from what i read but there were many that recomended it and said it is the whitest availible but i live in Texas and i looked at the only kind they had which was Quikrete brand and it was browner than the play or all purpose so i got the playsand but not sure if its what i want. Ive ordered a 3d bg that is reddish brown rocks and plan to add several stacked and arranged thin slate type rocks with one large artificial stump or type of branch. Whats ya'll opinion on the substrate? I just dont want brown sub,brown rocks n wood and brown bg. It needs sum contrast in my opinion and i think will enhance the fishes colors. Please help!

I'd suggest pool filter sand for the white&black silica sand for the dark substrate...

I use black blasting sand in my tanks. I have forgotten what grit I used. Its black, easy to clean, and my eel burrows in it without a problem. It was about eight dollars for fifty pounds

Banker that is what ive heard also and what i really want! Where does someone aquire this black blasting sand? And does it cloud water bad when cleaned or just stirred or rearanged by my cichlids?

Banker that is what ive heard also and what i really want! Where does someone aquire this black blasting sand? And does it cloud water bad when cleaned or just stirred or rearanged by my cichlids?

:welcome: to AA! We hope ya enjoy

Black Blasting sand has been found at tsc ( tractor supply stores) or menards.

I believe this is the one people use
http://www.menards.com/main/buildin...lack-blast-blasting-sand/p-1408386-c-5648.htm
I couldn't say for sure because I have play play sand.

Correct.

I purchased mine from "tractor supply co. " I believe that was the name of the store. I love the weight of this sand. When disturbed it falls right back down. When I had cichlids my auratus loves picking up a mouthful and blowing it out of his gills. I have plants now and frequently uproot things and it is cloudy for about five minutes

I wouldn't suggest a hard or sharp substrate, that's all I can chime in on that one- I heard pool sand and play sand work- but cichlids get those little tabs and bumps on their mouth when you use a hard substrate because they tend to play around with it and move things.

The black diamond sand and pfs are about the same in terms of sharpness. Pfs is heavier than the bds. I've got tanks with both.

No worries doll. Sorry if it sounded abrasive! :) no harm meant.

I thinking the term "blasting" has a lot to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom