Substrate switch Walkthrough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquastrategist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I could use some help on switching my substrate on my tank. Currently I have really bring mix of white gravel and sand, which detracts from the look of the tank. I was thinking of getting a darker more natural sand. I have semi aggressise cichlids in the tank and know I should take the fish out in buckets, but will my fish be fine crowded into such a small area? Also I could use pointers on a aquarium safe sand brand from like homedepot or lowes; fishstores are over priced.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I could use some help on switching my substrate on my tank. Currently I have really bring mix of white gravel and sand, which detracts from the look of the tank. I was thinking of getting a darker more natural sand. I have semi aggressise cichlids in the tank and know I should take the fish out in buckets, but will my fish be fine crowded into such a small area? Also I could use pointers on a aquarium safe sand brand from like homedepot or lowes; fishstores are over priced.

Well the first part about the walk through I can't help with... But for new sand I bought pool filtration sand... It wa 12$ for a 50 lb bag at my local ace hardware. It doesn't buffer ph though... And so far my fish love it

Thanks for that, a 50lb bag is just what I need for my tank too hahah.

If you read back in my threads. I have a substrate change. Great advice in there!

55 gallons and thanks hobgob ill check it out

If you ask your uncle Google or do a search on YouTube, there are a lot of articles and videos on switching to sand. The big thing to remember seems to be rinse, rinse, rinse the sand. And then rinse it some more. It helps with the initial cloudiness you will get.

If you ask your uncle Google or do a search on YouTube, there are a lot of articles and videos on switching to sand. The big thing to remember seems to be rinse, rinse, rinse the sand. And then rinse it some more. It helps with the initial cloudiness you will get.

^^+1 to this

But the problem with google is you have people on yahoo answers with a ten gallon and an Oscar telling people how to do it.

But the problem with google is you have people on yahoo answers with a ten gallon and an Oscar telling people how to do it.

That's true as well... You gotta look through and find forums and other stuff that isn't yahoo answers, aka more reliable

It was called removing ugf!!!!!!!! Follow the same step provided by jlk

Back
Top Bottom