Substrate worry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarzan of space

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 30 gallon long with 11 neons, 5 pepper corys, a pleco and a red clawed crab. Tank is cycled and levels are all doing great. I have a few plants now and I am planning on doing quite a few more. The substrate I'm using is typical Petsmart/petco size (about a quarter to a third of and inch) and I wonder if this will work in the long run for the plants and Corey's.
It's probably a needless worry as all the plants are growing now and the coreys are active and their color has even darkened since I got them three weeks ago.
Should I have started with a sand substrate or a finer gravel? I'm trying to look long term as I want to really make this tank work and look amazing.

When I started out I had gravel and my bronze cories weren't very active. They came out to eat but other than that they would stay in hiding. When I switched to sand it was like getting a brand new fish. They didn't hide anymore and loved to sift through the sand for food scraps.

I have cories in gravel and they do great. As long as it's smooth gravel u have nothing to worry about.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom