Substrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LordMatthew34

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it ok to mix different types if substrates together? I'm thinking about doing sand and gravel. I'd like to have the majority of the bottom be sand, but think it would look cool to have different parts of the tank be all gravel... Is this possible, or will it all just mix together?http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/

Is it ok to mix different types if substrates together? I'm thinking about doing sand and gravel. I'd like to have the majority of the bottom be sand, but think it would look cool to have different parts of the tank be all gravel... Is this possible, or will it all just mix together?

Ye its grand, mixing them together wud be cool looking to i bet.

They will mix unless you put a barrier between them. Either rocks or some type of flexible plastic sheet. It can be done to great effect.

They will mix, but it can be done. :) Terracing is also a cool effect, it's the cleaning that I find to be the biggest obstacle to maintaining a separation of sand and gravel but a divider of some kind could work well. :)

Back
Top Bottom