Substrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lev

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is a question for the future, and those of you seeing my last thread will get why:

Is it a bad/good idea to organise different textures of substrate into zones?

I was thinking eventually of adding 5 or so dwarf chain loach - but my current substrate is a coarse gravel. I was scared that completely changing it for a finer substrate would start the tank cycling again.

I thought about replacing roughly half with something finer, and then later replacing the rest. However I've been thinking a lot about natural lake and river beds, and how differing densities of gravel, silt etc will end up being deposited with currents, forming patterns sometimes.

Is it possible to keep some of my current substrate, along side a finer one also? I've tried to uplaod an image to try and demonstrate my proposed tank floor - (basically the same layout as currently but with different substrates)

PS: DCL and mollies... ok tank mates?

Attachments

• fish tank floor plan.jpg
    fish tank floor plan.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 65
People use 2 types of substrates all the time. You are correct removing all the substrate at once will likely create a mini cycle.

If you have a strainer (like from the kitchen) which will be sized for the one substrate to fit through the holes and the larger one not and stay in the strainer, can help to move the larger ones or smaller back to the desired spot.

Some use material which is flexible plastic like the report covers from the office supply store, or stones to make a wall/barricade. Most often a bigger issue with some one with black sand and having a white sand pathway going through the tank.

With natural colored sand and pebbles of various sizes, replicating a stream bed it is probably easier to maintain.

Also you can remove substrate by 20% sections, over a longer time to avoid a mini cycle. Scoop, or suck with the vac.

Back
Top Bottom