Success! (Finally) 30G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knhansenmd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
After some rough spots I think my tank is healthy and fish seem "happy".

30G acrylic tank with Eclipse "System 3" top filter (don't recommend it particularly). I have conditioned well water and have to add a mineral product to up the GH levels.

I used "Stabiltiy" by Seachem, but would not recommend this product. It looks like water and smells like water and it took a long time for my tank to cycle anyway! And it costs about $10 a bottle.

It took about 6 weeks to fully cycle the tank: I did change the filter once and now realize that was likely cause for delay. Also had some social problems since we decided we did not want babies, but did want colorful fish, we started with 3 male platys. The stronger picked on the weaker until only he was left.

Tank has been running for 2 months, ammonia and nitrites zero for the past 2 weeks. We have:

4 platys: 2 red wag (1m, 1f), 2 sunset wag (1m, 1f)
4 long-finned zebra danios (very hardy!)
8 neon tetras
2 leopard cory cats
1 clown pleco

For anyone just starting out I would recommend:

Be patient, cycling might take longer than you anticipate.
Buy hardy inexpensive fish to start.
When something goes wrong, try a major water change.
Don't put a bunch of male platys together!

Good luck!

Attachments

• tank_1_tiny_161.jpg
    tank_1_tiny_161.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 55
Yes, it is actually fake, by Topfin (about $20), but is great because it is completely hollow and the shy fish and pleco have a big cave to hide in. The pleco lives in there, comes out about 7P every day.

Back
Top Bottom