Success with safestart???????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wayne1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm on the verge of giving up on my tank? I'm cycling with fish in owing to the great advice of the staff at pets at home. I'm not getting anywhere at all, I'm gonna try adding safestart today. I know many of you say the bottled bacteria are a waste of money but there's gotta be some success stories out there? Give me hope. PLEASE

Yeah it can work, better still do you know anyone with a tank ask them for some seeded media or gravel. Pets at home are hopeless, can you search for an independent aquatic shop they should be a lot better and may even give you seeded media for free.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did get some but saw no difference whatsoever, It took me about an hour to get the sponge home so I just took it that the bacteria maybe died off somehow in that time. I've just added the safe start so I guess we'll soon see if it works. Who new keeping fish was so complex

I have tried the bottled bacteria a couple of times and thought it made a difference. Hit and miss it seems but trying never seems to do any harm.

Brill, fingers crossed then. It's good to hear that some people have had success with it. Here's hoping it works for me too

I think a lot of my success came also from not overstocking while using it and gradually introducing fish. Also I used it every water change - not sure if ur supposed to or if it mattered.

I am using it right now on my 20 gallon freshwater tropical aquarium so far in 3 days I have completed my cycle, 0 ammo, 0 nitrite and 120 nitrate, I know, I need to do a few massive water changes

:) excellent, congrats. I'm gonna be keeping a close eye on my levels over the next few days, so far I'd seen no nitrites and my amm was at about 0.5 morning and evening so I've been doing two part water changes a day. I'm hoping the safestart at least helps get things moving. I'll keep ya posted

I also had some gravel from my LFS, I put it in a nylon sock a stuffed it in my HOB filter so the water hits it before it hits the filter media

:) excellent, congrats. I'm gonna be keeping a close eye on my levels over the next few days, so far I'd seen no nitrites and my amm was at about 0.5 morning and evening so I've been doing two part water changes a day. I'm hoping the safestart at least helps get things moving. I'll keep ya posted

Great just be patient and keep monitoring and changing water as needed. It will happen for you don't give up on a fantastic hobby, the cycling stage is the worst part after that it's all gravy. Oh and try to avoid pets at home and you'll save yourself problems and money.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

? Your so right. They're the reason I'm in this fish in cycle in the first place. I'll be avoiding them from now on and coming to you guys for advice, much more constructive. Can't believe I'm so attached to my lil guys already, I'll be monitoring my amm and nitrite closely and doing water changes as required. Cheers guys

IMPORTANT question about Safestart:
Used it to cycle our tank, but it says on the bottle that it can be used after medicating a tank also. We had to us Jungle Lifeguard All-In-One treatment for a fungus problem and take our carbon cartridge out. We left the Bio-Wheel in and running. From checking our water parameters this AM, appears we have lost some beneficial bacteria thru the 6 day treatment. Yesterday was the end of the treatment and, as directed on the box, done a 25% w/c and added a water conditioner (for us, that was 3 drops of Prime).
I did call Tetra and a Rep, in hard to understand English, told me that it can be used for this. He told me to add the 3.38 oz of SafeStart to the water before putting the water into the tank b/c there is already a fish in the tank. When doing a cycling w/SafeStart, SafeStart is added to the tank before the fish is put in.

So, what do you think? Or, do I need to do a new Thread asking about this?

I used safestart plus in my 55 gallon and lightly stocked it afterwards and never lost a fish until I had ich 2 months later

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I also had success with safe start! Over dose a lot!!!! I put 3, 1.5oz bottles in my tank added 3 fish in my 16 gallon cycled in two weeks do not do any water changes. So get zebra danios there Hearty!

Back
Top Bottom