Suds in my ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZackReed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do suds that form after shaking a bottle of ammonia really mean that the ammonia is not suitable for cycling? I purchased CLEAR AMMONIA from Walgreens, an the only active ingredients listed are Monica hydroxide, I even looked at the product page online and it only listed that one ingredient. I need help!

From what I understand is if it has suds it has surfactants and that is no good. Best bet is to go to a Ace hardware store and get it from there.

Ammonium hydroxide is the 'active' ingredient. Water is another ingredient but its not 'active'. They are only required to list 'active' ingredients. Is it foamy & bubbly when you shake it?

Yea I guess that's what I'm gonna have to do, such a pain, seems like they would be legally obligated to list every ingredient, and BTW I did mean ammonia hydroxide and not "Monica hydroxide" as my iPhone corrected me in my initial post.

Yes foamy and bubbly, but no mention on the label or the website of any other ingredients. And it is called "clear ammonia". The only that's stopped me from dosing my tank is the whole shake and see bubbles warning

You can also look for Blue Ribbon clear ammonia, does not bubble when shaken and has been used by many including myself for a fishless cycle

Yea will do, until then would be worth it to dump in like a small packet of fish food to get things going?

I agree- they should be forced to list every single ingredient a product contains!! Well, you can try the Ace store locator & see if theres one in your area. Do It Best Hardware has a decent ammonia, too. Some dollar stores carry ammonia as well. As a last resort, amazon sells the Ace stuff as well as a few other brands. Good luck!

Yea will do, until then would be worth it to dump in like a small packet of fish food to get things going?

You can if you want but it will take a large amount of fish food to get a detectable ammonia reading. The fish food will have to decompose first & it will be a bit of a mess. Mold tends to grow on the food as well. A couple of raw shrimp in a mesh bag/piece of pantyhose would be a bit cleaner though no more accurate than fish food. Up to you!

I'd go with pure ammonia if you can find it and of course a good water test kit like API offers. I first dosed my tank and tested my water with a kit i was told would work for freshwater which turned out to be way off. From what I understand if the ammonia you get doesnt bubble when you shake it, it will be fine. Also add the ammonia slowly maybe a Tspn or less at a time since it doesnt take much to make a huge difference

Yep I bought that API kit today along with a couple cabomba plants and black Tahitian sand, really wanted to start the fishless cycle tonight but I guess I can hold off another day.

jlk said:
Heres an ammonia dosing calculator- just fill in your info, the % of amm, & ppm you are trying to reach. Its also helpful if you get a small baby medicine syringe that measures in mls (5mls=1tsp)- most pharmacies will give you one for free.

http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

Awesome! Thanks alot, that's a nifty little tool. Working a double today so doubt I'll get a chance to pick up the new ammonia, it's Mardi Gras season down here!

Back
Top Bottom