suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klc9100

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello everyone. this is my 1st post here. this seems like a cool and informative forum.

i have had several tanks, but it's been a LONG time, and know alot has changed. i recently found a deal (i think) at a garage sale and decided to get back into the hobby. it is an old 75gal (it came with an oak stand & canopy, plus new lights for $100). that was a good deal, right???

i want to set it up to be a freshwater tank. i want to have some fish that will get moderately sized (5 to 6 in.). i don't really like oscars. i was wondering if any of you could suggest some cool fish for me and help me determine how many i could get without overstocking.

i've been checking on filters and i think i'm gonna get 2 emperor 400's (bio wheel). that's probably overkill, but i figured too much would be better than not enough, right? any suggestions or opinions here would be great also.

there aren't any pet/fish stores around here (other than wal-mart) and they don't have anything that i think i would want. i've seen where you can order fish online. that kinda boggles my mind. do any of you have experience with this? could you recommend a reputable online source? i don't understand how shipping the fish wouldn't kill them (from stress, if nothing else).

thanks in advance. any and all information/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I have an Emperor 400 and an Emperor 280 on my 75 gallon. (and they both use the same filter cartridge so that is convenient)
Ordering fish online can get pricey because of the overnight shipping.
You can end up paying more for shipping than the fish is worth.
Look through the online yellow pages for aquarium supplies. Even if you have to drive an hour to get to a good aquarium store it is worth the trouble.
You can do alot with a 75 gallon. I suggest you get it set up and do a fishless cycle while you consider stocking options.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html
Then decide if you want a peacefull comunity tank or a more agressive cichlid tank or predators or, my favorite Plecos (you can keep a few plecos with most other fish as well but research the specific species)

Check out if there is a local aquarium club sometimes members raise some very nice fish. You might want to check out cichlids if you are looking for a fish that is 5 to 6 inches.

I have an Emperor 400 and an Emperor 280 on my 75 gallon. (and they both use the same filter cartridge so that is convenient)
Ordering fish online can get pricey because of the overnight shipping.
You can end up paying more for shipping than the fish is worth.
Look through the online yellow pages for aquarium supplies. Even if you have to drive an hour to get to a good aquarium store it is worth the trouble.
You can do alot with a 75 gallon. I suggest you get it set up and do a fishless cycle while you consider stocking options.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html
Then decide if you want a peacefull comunity tank or a more agressive cichlid tank or predators or, my favorite Plecos (you can keep a few plecos with most other fish as well but research the specific species)

thank you for your reply. do you think 2 of the emperor 400's would be too much filtration, or is there any such thing?

the "cycling" link was great. i'm going to set it up and start doing that.

Check out if there is a local aquarium club sometimes members raise some very nice fish. You might want to check out cichlids if you are looking for a fish that is 5 to 6 inches.

thanks for the reply. i had cichlids before, but they never got that big. i kinda wanted to try something else this time. do you have any other suggestions?

thank you for your reply. do you think 2 of the emperor 400's would be too much filtration, or is there any such thing?

the "cycling" link was great. i'm going to set it up and start doing that.
I don't think you can have too much filtration.
Even though I have enough to handle a heavily stocked tank It would be nice to have two 400s.
PS: several of my African cichlids are over 4" right now and still growing.

I don't think you can have too much filtration.
Even though I have enough to handle a heavily stocked tank It would be nice to have two 400s.
PS: several of my African cichlids are over 4" right now and still growing.

cool. i'm gonna order the 400's today and start cycling the tank when they get here. i've been doing alot of reading and thinking about it today, and have about decided that i am going to try cichlids again. it sounds like you're having pretty good luck with yours. can you give me any pointers???

do you use gravel or sand?
what do you feed them?
how many do you think i could put in a 75g?
what do you keep your ph at?
is the water temp important with cichlids?

I use small gravel, they love to excavate and like cave like structures.
I have 7 cichlids and a couple of chinese algae eaters in a 46 gallon bowfront.
I feed them tropical flakes with snacks every few days of, cichlid chips, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp or tubifex blocks (the blocks are cool to feed, press the block to the glass about halfway down and its a feeding frenzy)
I feed my algae eaters wafers or fresh veggies, zucchini or frozen peas (skins removed) and my cichlids will snack on that as well. they really like the peas.
I normally have a PH of 7.4 the same as my tap. Don't get caught up in PH as long as it is stable and stays about the same.
My temp is 78*
I have 3 yellow labs, 2 red zebra and 2 snow white socolofi.

Back
Top Bottom