Suggestions Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lil'nemo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello...just found this forum. :D I must say that I've read some pretty interesting stuff. Anyhoots...I just started a larger sized aquarium, I think it's a 50 gallon, and was wondering if anyone would have some suggestions for me as far as what I'm looking for. I've been on the search for schooling fish...but not just any schooling fish, they gots to be of the black, red or orange color kind of deal. Well they don't have to but preferbly...picky me. :roll: I'm thinking along the lines of clown loach or red tailed black shark schemes...maybe even some white (albino rainbow sharks :?: ). Only thing is...compatibility...and what kinds, how much, etc. Also, I want some fish that like to be out and about, well at least hanging out in the mid to top areas of the tank, not just the bottom. You're probably all going to laugh at me but the only thing I got in the tank right now is a red tailed leopard pleco (is that the right name) L-114? Well yups, so if anyone's up for the challenge of answering my questions or giving some suggestions I'd be really happy about it. :) Thank you much all.

Welcome to AA, Nemo!!!

First off, you have many options really. About the rainbow sharks...if you want them, they should be either by themselves or in groups of 4 or more, because they are territorial, and will also become territorial with other shark species in your tank. Clown loaches would be ok too, but they are bottom dwelling fish, and will grow quite large, so I'd stick with about 3, since they to are like the sharks, must be kept in groups of 3 or more, or by themselves.

For the fish, you could go with serpae tetras, black tetras, harlequin rasboras. I love these three fish, and they are respectively reddish, black, and red and black....so it should be what you are looking for. Research them a little, find out if they are cool for you. Id write some more, but I gotta go to class! I'm gonna be late! Have fun :wink:

If you can find them, try some red-line torpedo barbs (Puntius denisonii). You could probably manage 4 in that size tank.

[center:87a0250cd2] Welcome to Aquarium Advice, lil'nemo :n00b: [/center:87a0250cd2]
I have serpea tetras (red and black) in a 50 gal community tank. They are very nice to look at and add needed color.
Is your tank cycled yet? (If you're not sure, read the article on cycling here on AA.)

Red Phantom Tetras are orange red fish with black markings if you go the tetra route.

There is always the good ol Platy for color and relative ease of care (just be sure to have a couple fish for fry patrol..provide hiding if you want a few to survive). you can have a good size school of mixed colors and not have the same amount of aggression probs that come up with certain tetras(fin nippers).

Killis come in those colors in combo if you go the cooler water route. then you can use hillstream loaches and otos for excellent cleaning.

Remember to research the species we mention and check their adult sizes so you can calculate what can go in .
Remember also; that territorial fish and fish that live and/or sleep at the bottom require linear space as well as the good ol rule of thumb "gal/inch" Especially fish over 4 inches. 50 gallons can fill up in required space quicker than you'd like..and if the species are spooky, your tank will STILL look empty.

:? Hmm...seems that I do have quite a few options. :mrgreen: Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and suggestions.
As of right now, I'm pretty set one some cloan loaches, gotta get a mini school of those...why, they're just wicked awesome. As for the sharks, I've been reading some posts all over the creation here about them and done some research and they're known for aggression. *brain fart* What if I mised them up a little...you know, instead or groups 4 or more, hows about some of each. Say...3 albino rainbows and 3 red tailed black sharks, maybe 4 of each? Might work...help limit the fighting intentions :? I'm a big fan of the harlequin rasbora also. (They were the one of the first fish that I ever kept a while back.) How much would make a healthy school of those? Red-line torpedo barbs....never heard of them before, definitely sounds interesting, going to do some more research. I'm definitely finding difficulty in making up my mind here.
Tank conditions so far...yes my tank is cycled...I've got about everything accomplished for it, except tenants (besides the red leopard pleco).

I just had another thought...I already have some susbstrate in the aquarium but I was wondering what would be the best color that I could have gone with? (I might want to change it eventually.) One that will make my fish stand out but yet be good for them. Anyone ever used the Caribsea Tahitian Moon Black Sand before? (Though I don't know if black would be the best color to go on with the fish that I do have in mind.)

I have used Tahitian Moon Sand and it is pretty but difficult to keep clean and smooth. Also if it gets stirred up in a water change, it causes my filter pump to seize. I think I would be happier with a smooth black gravel, but I haven't found any yet.

The harlequins are some of my favs too and a good reason why I suggested them! I have a school of ::thinks real hard:: 7 in my 55 gal tank right now and they are sweet to watch! The clown loaches are cool too, and I have 3 in my tank. The little things will look ANYWHERE for food, even in the filter intake! Make sure you have plenty for them to eat!

As for the rainbow sharks, I'm not sure if mixing the two up (albinos and red tails) will do any harm or not... I doub't it though.. and they aren't that aggressive, as long as you keep them in groups, or completely alone! Let us know what you choose!

Just thought that I'd update everyone who posted replies. :D Alright got my clown loaches. I've decided to go ahead and try and mix the shark combo that I was inquiring about (Red Tailed Blacks and Albino Rainbows)...so far it is a success. :!: :mrgreen: I originally started off with 3 Albino Rainbows and 4 Red Tailed Blacks...but one of the Albinos died....so I got another Red Tailed Black in it's place because they sold out of Albinos by the time this happened. It all worked out perfectly though. Sadly my little red tailed leopard pleco (? still don't know if that's the right name) has passed away. Currently...this is what's in the tank:
2 Albino Rainbow Sharks
5 Red Tailed Black Sharks
2 Albino Corydoras
3 Clown Loaches
1 Clown Plecostomus
I know that I'm already pushing the limits of the tank space...but I still would really like some top dwelling critters in my tank. It's all up in the air though, I haven't seen any that spark my interest. :roll:

If none spark your interest, leave them out. :D That's what I have done!
Your tank is maxed out on bioload (or will be when everyone is full grown). My guess is all the fish are juvies right now. The time to watch for aggression will be when they sexually mature.

Definately go for darker substrate! Since you seem to have picked your fish for the coloring scheme you would want thier colors to show the best they can. If you have darker colors (or even black) then the fish feel they have to make thier coloring as dark (and thus vivid) as they can for safety. 8) I have yet to hear any thing good about sand for anyone other than salt water tanks. Which is a crying shame since it looks so very cool! :(
Keep showing up, ask those questions and be ready for a mountain of information. :D I started keeping a journal to keep track of what breeds worked for me, which ones I never want to have agian, and even what ones I want once I have a truely big tank (tire track eel, tee hee). It will help you toward that all important MTS that we all know and love. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom