Suggestions for small cold water tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megsiup

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,
New member, longtime amateur freshwater fishkeeper. I have a unique situation and am searching for some good advice :)
I have a "basement cat" named Precious who lives alone because she does not like our other cats. We spend time with her when we can, but she is bored and lonely a lot. In her previous life as our neighbor's cat (before he dumped her and moved to Tennessee), she absolutely loved watching his fish and spent hours lounging in front of the tank. In an effort to improve her quality of life, I'd like to set up a tank in the basement for her.
I have a 1.5 gallon office desktop-type tank. I originally purchased it to keep a betta that has since died. But I am stumped as to what kind of fish I could buy that would thrive in water temperatures in an unheated basement (not freezing, but probably into the low 50's or even high 40's). I have a small heater for the tank but I think it's only rated to increase the temp by 5-10 degrees tops. I also have a filter and bubbler and various plants and ornaments.
Also keep in mind it probably gets into the high 60's to low 70's down there in the summer. So we are looking at water temps that range 25 degrees or more throughout the year.
My first thought is that goldfish are fine in cold water, but that's an awfully small tank for a goldfish. A friend suggested White Clouds, and since they are tiny I could probably keep 4-5 in that size tank comfortably. Does anyone know if they or another fish can tolerate these kinds of conditions, or am I barking down a dead end?
I also have an old decrepit 10 gallon that I can set up, but would rather go with the 1.5 gallon since it is much nicer, and the 10-gallon has a busted lid and I can just see Precious having a fish snack :)

Welcome to AA :) To be honest with you, imo, no fish (except betas, and thats debatable) should be kept in a tank smaller than 10g... sure you could fit several white clouds in there, but all they could do is swim circles all day... i would definately set up the 10g, then you could have room for a heater and stock pretty much any fish suitable for a 10g tank

10-gallon with goldfish?

OK, say I go with the 10-gallon tank and tape down the lid so she can't go fishing. What kind of temperature range is comfortable for goldfish? And should I go with 2-3 small goldfish or just one individual? Is there a variety of goldfish that stays relatively small?
I could buy another heater if necessary. I do have a filter and bubbler that can go in there. I had a goldfish live in that tank setup for 2+ years previously. He outgrew it and then lived another 2 years in a 20-gallon tank. I'm just afraid I'll end up with a giant goldfish treading water in this 10 gallon tank...with nowhere else for him to go!

no goldfish will work in a 10g tank, at least not for long... stick with something small... if the one you have wont keep the temp above 65, get a heater and go with danios and/or white cloud minnows...

I had Come white clouds in a 7 lirte tank for a couple of years and ther were fine =) Untill they got caught in the filter -_- dumb fish but yeah great idea they have a very large Degrees of which the water can be its about 10 degrees celcius to about 30 or so

From the advice/conversation so far, it sounds like I'm headed toward setting up the 10 gallon, buying a heater, and stocking about 7-9 white clouds. Any further advice, keeping in mind this is still going to be in a fairly cold basement?
I'm also ordering a heated cat bed for Precious for the winter. Although she is extremely furry and has blankets and cat beds, I think she'll like the extra warmth.

She lives in the basement because she HATES other cats. We have three cats upstairs that live together in harmony. Poor Precious was our neighbor's cat unti he abandoned her when he moved away. We took her in but could not get her to be anything but absolutely terrified/aggressive with other cats. She is much happier down there by herself and we have a pretty nice setup for her, including a 6 foot tall cat tree at the window. But we know she LOVES fish so this is really a treat for her :)

Update: I went out today and bought a good filter, heater, aerator and gravel. Made purchases based on recommendation of store employee who seemed VERY knowledgable and confirmed the advice I've gotten online. Am setting the tank up tonight to let it start cycling.
Question: I just did a partial water change of my 20 gallon community tank and I saved about 2 gallons of the old tank water. Can I use this in the 10 gallon to help "seed" the good bacteria, etc?
Looking forward to getting some white clouds and danios for Precious! Thanks everyone for the help. I'll let you know how it goes when get the fish.

no, the water column has very little to no bacteria in it... all you would be doing is putting dirty water (which if i remember correctly from your other thread, should be very dirty) in the new tank... start fresh with it... feed it ammonia, get it going, once its cycled, slowly add your fish

Used filter media is best for "seeding" a tank. There isn't as much bacteria in the water as there is in the filter. I keep extra sponges in all of my filters in case I need to seed a tank, then I have bacteria ready for it. Glad you got some good stuff for a tank for Precious. I hope she appreciates all you do for her. You are a good kitty mommy!

Back
Top Bottom