Suggestions on fish type and number

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Should i add 4 neon tetras or black neon tetras
Currently i have 4 black neons and 5 platies

I would add five more black neons for a school of nice. Odd numbers look better for some reason, and the back neons will school together.

I'm a little surprised you're not seeing ammonia or nitrites, but maybe the bacterial "primer" did the trick. What nitrate reading are you getting? Back to adding fish, I'd wait another week to make sure all is kosher in your tank.

And you can use tap water treated with Prime or another water conditioner to top off the tank.

Reactions: Arg
All levels are measured at 0 right now

Do platies and black neons prefer less light they seemed to be hanging more in the less light zone that zone also happens to be where water filter and water heater are located.

My Api high range ph shows a reading of 8 but my regular ph one shows 7.6 I am confused
Is the ph high for platys or trtras? What do i to lower it
Rest all are 0
Into week 2 of tank

No need to adjust it your ph. Most fish adapt. I've kept many types of fish in 7.6, including tetras. Your platys will be fine also.

I wouldn't use the high range Ph test on this tank, just because it's not meant to measure the typical freshwater set up (aside from Africans).

7.6 might be a little high for the black neons, but, if they're tank raised, they're probably more accustomed to your water. If they're not showing any distress, I wouldn't worry.

Definitely don't go playing with the PH, though: wild swings are more harmful to the fish than Ph that's a bit too high or low.

Reactions: Arg
I have a 28g aquarium coffee table with water filter bubbler heater and a light source from bottom and glass gravel.
I have 5 platy fish 4 black neon tetra
Week 2 of tank setup
Today for the first time got ammonia0.25 so did 20% water change rest all 0
But i started noticing some algae at the bottom. Only on top of where light is.
What is the cause of algae?should i introduce ottos?
ALso how much light does fish need

Thank you so much for prompt reponses
So in 28 g
7 black neon tetras
2 octos
And how may platies?

Otos need to be in groups. Add them last. They need a well established mature tank. They are WC and can be fragile the first couple of weeks. I'd do 3-6 of them.

I'd do all male Platies so you don't have to deal with babies.

Back
Top Bottom