Suggestions on fish type and number

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
I am new to aquariums
I have a 28g tank with heater and aqueon quiet flow filter
I have started cycling the tank with 4 black tetras

I am confused on chosing between platies and male guppies. Which is more hardy? How many can I get?
I also plan on getting 2 siamese alage eaters . Is that sufficient?
Appreciate any help

First I think platies are hardier. Second siamese alage eaters can get huge! Third the tetras need to be in groups of at least 5 or 6.

Agree with SmallFish; algae eaters can get up to 12." Much too big for your tank. I've found that they really don't do a very good job of algae control, and the bigger they get, the less algae they eat; and the uglier they get. If you wait until your tank is established and algae starts to appear, you could get a small group of Oticinclus; I believe they're much more efficient at algae control.

Agree with SmallFish; algae eaters can get up to 12." Much too big for your tank. I've found that they really don't do a very good job of algae control, and the bigger they get, the less algae they eat; and the uglier they get. If you wait until your tank is established and algae starts to appear, you could get a small group of Oticinclus; I believe they're much more efficient at algae control.

Haha yes those SAE's do get large....and ugly! Oto's are great little algae eaters.

Check gh/kh if your trying to do hard and soft species. Assuming the tetras survive

Agreed with everything I read here, and I would recommend platys over guppies if hardiness is a concern for you. There's been some discussion recently of guppies becoming more fragile as newer color strains are developed (inbreeding, for one), but platys are hardy, quite peaceful, and have great color varieties. And I would consider 5-7 more black neons when your tank is done cycling: they'll look stunning in a small school and contrasted with some colorful platys.

Thank you so much for prompt reponses
So in 28 g
7 black neon tetras
2 octos
And how may platies?

Thanks
Will it overcrowd a 28g tank?
Also are platies top or mid level feeders?
Also do they have high bioload as compared to guppies?
How to know that tank has done cycling?

Also how oftern shoudl i feed black tetras? Or ither fish
How about meteor minnow or white cloud minnow?

1-No It should not overcrowd the tank
2-people say that they are mid dwelling but from my experience they go everywhere
3-no not to much more than guppies
4- do you have a test kit?

Im guessing octos are ottos? They prefer larger groups and a seasoned tank. They can be challenging in a new tank lacking substantial bio film.

I should think those numbers are fine in a 28g with any decent filtration. As for feeding, the platys and the neons will eat very similar foods. Find a good staple flake food (I use Omega One, but there are other good ones out there.) and start with that, but don't feed more than they'll consume in two minutes. And don't let them fool you! The platys will always be begging for food, no matter how much they've eaten. :)

Eventually, you'll want to branch out to other foods --I like to include frozen brine shrimp, for example-- but this will get you started. :thumbs:

THank you tahnk you thank you for alll your help. Community fish are so rewarding to watch.. i gor tetra flakes and shrimp for them as food for now.
I got 4 black neon tetras and 5 palties
I plan on getting 2 ottos or small alage eater and would like to add 4more fish .. need your advice my tank is 28 g
Tiger barb/ gouramis/ guppies?
Looking for
Less mess- easy to care- hardy fish
Thnaks!

Should i add 4 neon tetras or black neon tetras
Currently i have 4 black neons and 5 platies
So i have been checking th water for ammonia nitrate and nitrite all are 0
I santized the tank and started about a week ago added the liquid bacteria for 2 days and then added 4 black neon tetras for cycling the tank. 3 days later i added 5 platies i am feeding them every alternate day
Water has all 0 for ammonia nitrate and nitrite? Am i doing anything wrong
Can i still do a water chnage? Some water level has dropped due to heater

Back
Top Bottom