suitable fish for 5 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
'k, two warnings later, this one's lived its life.

Try again if you need it, shsean. Lots of good alternatives in this thread. Good luck.

**9/08 -- reopened on request, moved off topic to the Lounge.

K

I guess its safe to say that after my couple hours of here and there research backing up with real experience... that bettas, some tetras and such that grow up to 2 inches are perfect in a 5 gal. tank! There isnt such things as "sufficating" fish... its just overcrowding that stress's them and such! My freind (true story) kept 4 female bettas in a 5.5 gal. for a year and a half, and they lived happily from the day he got them to the day he sold them becuase he went to an out of town college!

I personally own a 5 gallon with 3 female betass, (thinking of getting one more) and 4 small 2 gallon cubes on my shelf containin a male betta each. I say that if you were to get a more crowded 5 gall. (3-5+ fish) the more water changes needed. I think other from stressing them out, if there happy in a large number in a small tank, then the water quality would be the issue, not the "sufficating" and such that people learn from the jacka**'s from the store who want you to buy a huge tank for profit, and so you dont want a refund!

Word of advice to all who read this... be carefull what you read online, and what advice you get from the petstore owner/workers. Especially the petstore ppl, becuase many of them think they know what there talking about, or dont have a clue and sort of wing it and try to sound like they have a clue. I had one guy say to me that I couldnt keep 5 female bettas in a 10 gallon, and they would die in a week tops. I wanted to buy him a book to read on fish lol. Remember all books are like the internet, you cant trust them all either. Especially books published 4-5+ years ago.

If you had time to read all that, thx and hope this clarified some of the true answers and tips ppl have been giving!

If you are going to keep fish in a tank smaller than 5 gallons, you need to change the water twice a week. If you have more than one fish in the tank, you will need to change the water more often.
Some female bettas cannot be kept together, but some can. I believe it is how they were raised, whether they were kept in a community until they were brought to the store, or housed in separate containers.

Hello,

small fish such as neon tetras, guppies, OR even african dwarf frogs could be housed in a 5G tank (only a few of course) with regular water changes!

However, I would say that having a large beautiful betta with many plants in a well decorated aquarium would be very aesthetically pleasing, happy for the fish- and trust me, you will bond with the fish where he will often come swimming to you! :)

I just wanted to say i have a 5g planted with fine gravel, and 4 albino cory and they are loving life! I just want people to know that you can easily keep fish in a 5g Its much more about water parameters and cleanliness, rather than gallons (obivously a 6-8" fish shouldnt be in a 5g) but smaller fish, under 2-3" can definitely be kept in a 5g if it is kept well and they have a good environment! I may even toss in like 5 shrimp and possibly a small betta to occupy the top portion but the cory literally go all over the tank GREAT FISH!

The problem with that is that the fish don't have any room to swim. As long as they are dwarf corys, they should be alright, but how would you like to live in a closet for the rest of your life with not alot of room to move around? I know I wouldn't like it very much, no matter how clean it was.

I am thinking of upgrading my betta's 2.5 gallon tank to a 5 gallon tank. This is the largest that I have space for. My betta seems to be perfectly happy in his 2.5 gallon tank. I am choosing to upgrade it because it will be cold soon and I need to put a heater in. What size heater is appropriate for a 5 gallon tank? Also, I would like to add a friend for my betta and I was wondering which would be better, a snail or dwarf frog? Thanks!!

I am thinking of upgrading my betta's 2.5 gallon tank to a 5 gallon tank. This is the largest that I have space for. My betta seems to be perfectly happy in his 2.5 gallon tank. I am choosing to upgrade it because it will be cold soon and I need to put a heater in. What size heater is appropriate for a 5 gallon tank? Also, I would like to add a friend for my betta and I was wondering which would be better, a snail or dwarf frog? Thanks!!

I would def say go with shrimp as a friend for your betta!! :D, but thats just because im not a snail fan , and the frog and betta might end up fighting

My bettas will not tolerate ANYTHING in their tanks. I tried putting my snail in their tank temporarily, and they kept picking at her and stealing her food. Little brats LOL. ;)

My bettas will not tolerate ANYTHING in their tanks. I tried putting my snail in their tank temporarily, and they kept picking at her and stealing her food. Little brats LOL. ;)

Ha,

Mine killed off anything I put in with them. Or, atleast the female did.

No more bettas now though, they're all in the great fish tank in the sky.

RIP

Ive got 3 tiger barbs and 5 ghost shrimp to roam the bottom in my 5 gal. You really can have most fish that dont get huge. Look for fish that dont get bigger than 1.5inches and only have 3 at the MOST.

Im thinkin about getting a 10 gallon and then making the 5 gallon a betta tank with a snail or two.

He may have the same opinion as I do, and that is that a 5 gallon tank is not suitable for fish. Even for a betta, the tank is too small. Maybe a small number of feeder guppies, but thats it.

Honestly, I think the companies that make these 5 gallon tanks should have their product managers tied to the ground and slapped with the metal end of a shovel.

End of rant.

Actually, that is YOUR opinion as an Aquarist (or whatever its called xD). Many debates has been going on as to whether a Betta Splenden should be kept in a 3 or 5 gallon. I believe a 5 gallon is the right size for a betta splenden and I am NOT telling you to agree with me whatsoever. You should though, read about the subject before saying things (whom are untrue) like you have.

To the comment about companies making 5 gallon tanks, that is pretty exagerated. Maybe those who make smaller ones (like few litres and up to 5gal) but 5 gallon is fine for sorta-small solitary fish as the Betta Splenden is.

Thank-you for your time.

A long time ago I had an african dwarf frog that was several years old and he was a pretty good size and I put him in a tank with a beta and he ate the beta whole. I was shocked but it was undeniable, the ends of the fins of the beta were still sticking out of the frogs mouth when I discovered what happened. I don't know if it happened because the frog was not raised with other fish or if this is common or just an anomaly but it is something to think about when adding fish in with african dwarf frogs.

Back
Top Bottom