Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2006, 03:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

suitable fish for 5 gallon tank

HI i would like to know which fish suitable for 5 gallons tank? besides it is alright for me too add featherfin catfish inside the tank? I love angelfish and i knew it hard to keep this fish in this tank but is there any way to make it possible for angelfish to live in this tank? Thanks for our reply..

Old 09-05-2006, 05:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

There aren't very many fish you can keep in a 5 gallon tank. The featherfin gets to be 6 - 8 inches, so that's out of the question. Angelfish require swimming space and also grow quite large so you couldn't keep even 1 in a 5 gallon tank; smallest tank for them is 30 gallons.

Have you considered a betta ? They are loaded with personality and a betta would do very well in a 5 gallon tank. You could add a snail for cleanup and company.

Another option would be 2 or 3 male guppies, but my personal choice would be the betta. I have 5 (separated, as you cannot keep two bettas together) and they are just the perfect fishy pet.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
go out and buy a 10g tank from petsmart, they're like $8.99
or even a 20g for $30
Old 09-05-2006, 11:14 AM   #4

i keep a few zebra danio's in my 5 gal and they do fine.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
go out and buy a 10g tank from petsmart, they're like $8.99
or even a 20g for $30
Why do people do this? Are you going to pitch in the extra money? The person asked what fish are suitable for a 5 gallon.

End of rant.

verucaproduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by verucaproduce

Why do people do this? Are you going to pitch in the extra money? The person asked what fish are suitable for a 5 gallon.

End of rant.
He may have the same opinion as I do, and that is that a 5 gallon tank is not suitable for fish. Even for a betta, the tank is too small. Maybe a small number of feeder guppies, but thats it.

Honestly, I think the companies that make these 5 gallon tanks should have their product managers tied to the ground and slapped with the metal end of a shovel.

End of rant.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
oh! fish can live in 5gal easily! especially bettas. Sure bigger is better, but there are fish that are small enough to fit in 5gal tanks. I would recommend a male guppy, or you could go for some sunset coral dwarf platies. Even one platy could fit in there. For people like me with limited space and money 5gal tanks are great. There are loads of fish you could put in ther. Even a small school of small tetras. We all have our opinions and mine is that a 5gal is a great tank for small fish. Just do your resaerch before you put a fish in, and make sure it is cycled. Have fun, dont put fish that grow over 2" in that tank.

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

i love 5 gal tanks. i use them for my betta and they make great nano planted tanks. a 5 has tons of room for a betta and it would be extreamly happy in it. as long as u do water changes frequently they are great. i keep a 1 gallon jug next to my tank and scoop out 1 jug every other day. this keeps the water prestine and the fish happy. u could do a couple male guppies but in the end a 5 is really best for a betta. and like joannde said a snail or maybe a couple shrimp would add some life to the set up.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

And I suppose that makes me Hitler for having 1 betta, 1 snail, and 3 lemon tetras in my 5.5 gal?

I present my 5.5 gallon dungeon (the tetras maintain their sanity by singing spirituals and carving the passing days in the glass with small bits of gravel):

I think people who rant about 5 gal. tanks being "too small for fish" probably just don't have a good idea of how big they are.

A 10 gal. tank is 18.25" wide and 10.75" deep.
A 5.5 gal. tank is 16.00" wide and 8.25" deep.

So, the 10 gal. is only 14% wider. It's not a fish torture chamber.

It's weird that most people here would tell me the tank was grossly overstocked, but even fully grown I would barely be hitting the generic one fish per gallon mark.

I do think that decorations change things a lot, though. If they didn't have plants and a little corner of bubbles, it would probably be a kind of depressing little box.

People also told me that Lemon Tetras would freak out, lose their color, die, or who knows what if I didn't have at least five. Instead they've gotten much brighter color, and they're totally calm. It took me a long time to get a picture where they were actually together instead of just happily poking around the plants separately. Maybe they're just happy I rescued them from the 10 gal. that was packed with about 20 lemon tetras (and some other species of fish) in the LFS.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:09 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

well actually my 5 gallon tank is 11.84" deep and 9.84" wide.

Tags
5 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com