Sulfur

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm thinking of starting my first aquarium. My question is that I live in a town that has well water that is sulfur heavy. For drinking water, I have filters with activated carbon. Will I have to have filtered water in the aquarium? Bottled? Is there something I can add to aquarium and use the sulfur heavy water?

It will be important to know exactly how much sulfur is in your water, so if you can locate a test for it, do so. Many of the water conditioners will actually neutralize sulfur, so if you know how much you have in your well water to start with, you can do a few tests and see what conditioner removes it the most effectively. A little sulfur is not such a horrible thing, but it really depends on how much you have.

Welcome to AA!!! You are leaps and bounds ahead of many new aquarium keepers by even thinking about how your water will affect the fish, so kudos to you! :D

Let us know what size your aquarium is/will be and what you would like to keep, and we will help you along the way, and after you get set up you can help those two steps behind you.

Thank you for the advice and the welcomes. :D

I'm planning a 30gal and building towards 6 to 8 danios. I figure if I can keep the danios happily darting for 6 months or so, then I'll look to adding another type of fish.

Right now I haven't purchased a thing. I've spend the last few weeks just doing research online and talking to friends who have fish. There's alot of conflicting info out there. So, color me confused.

Another question, if you don't mind. Can someone recommend a really quiet air pump? I've noticed people in other threads complaining of noisy ones.

Back
Top Bottom