Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Lightbulb Summer Project

For the summer I would like to begin a new project. I would like as much help as possible. I am looking to create a working freshwater ecosystem. The main uncertainty is the filtration system.

I have a 187 gallon tank, 40 gallon tank, and 30 gallon tank. I would like to have the 187 gallon tank as a jaguar cichlid aquarium. I would like it to be semi planted. Now for the other two tanks. I would like to use them somehow in my filtration system. THE CATCH: I would like the water to be filtered naturally. MY IDEA: Have the water fall from the larger tank down below into a planted tank with animals that will filter the waste (Pleco, shrimp, etc), maybe getting filtered one more time, then work its way back into the cichlid tank with good nutirents. I would like to have all 3 tanks presentably looking. The less equipment, the better.

I would like to get the most filtration possible from plants and animals as possible. Freshwater mangroves for filtration within the larger tank would be cool.

How can I accomplish this goal? Feel free to ask me any questions. Thanks everyone!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Basically you want a display tank with a sump. It pretty easy I did it with my 100g cichlid tank. If you want them all to be "displayable" that won't be to hard. You would need to blend the overflow pipes and hide the baffles in the sump.

If your going to use the 40g as the sump i would suggest at lest 3 sections one for the water to enter the largest in the middle that has plants shrimp exc and the last for your return pump and maybe some active charcoal.

I would drill the sump tank if you want it to be a display tank but not necessary. Drilling would make it look nicer.

Tags
project

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com