Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2019, 08:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sump advice

Hi guys.
So Iíve just brought myself a 400l tank with a 100l sump. Iíve never used a sump before and was after some advice on media to use and placement etc.
Itís got 3 chambers plus a top up chamber (used to be used for marine but I wonít be using this chamber) I have a filter sock on the pipe letting water into the sump but am stuck with what media to use and whereabouts to put it. Iíve spoke to someone a my local LFS and he advised me to put pond filter media (black, green and blue foam egg crate style sheets) in the middle chamber. I have done this but canít see how this is going to filter anything considering the water doesnít pass through them rather just over the top. Iíve attached a pic of the sump layout and any advise anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.
Thank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4F2849F3-1774-48A7-9200-D2DCEFE73AF0.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	312032  

Old 02-15-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
Ichthyophile

What you need to do is put the filter media on the left hand side - where your arrow shows inflow. fill the bottom half or so with bioballs or something like that to grow a bacteria colony on. On top of that you need a square of plastic eggcrate mesh or the equivalent. Then put a mesh or felt pad or two over that. I use a 100 micron felt pad on the bottom and top it with a 50 micron pad about half the size of the 100 micron. The pads need to be above the water level so the incoming water flows through them.
Then, once a week, change the pads. Never have to touch bioballs. Easy once you get it set up.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Nice one, thank you.
What size balls would you say? And any particular brand or are they all as good as each other?
Old 02-15-2019, 07:11 PM   #4
Ichthyophile

I don't think the size makes too much difference. I've only seen two sizes, one about the size of a jawbreaker and the other the size of a golf ball. I'd go for the big ones because in the rare event you have to take apart the sump, it's easier to deal with the large ones.

Tags
advice, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com